Dragon's Gate: Chapter Nine

The grand doors swung open to glittering lights and dazzling colours. The sun sparkled through stained glass windows, infusing the air with a beauty only matched by the flowers lining the room. Red, yellow, and white roses and lilies lined the pathway before her. Delicate bouquets wrapped in silk swayed with the breeze.

The orchestra played a sweet melody with deep undertones. The crowd whispered in awe as the prince and princess made their slow march forward.

Elsa felt the scrutiny of their gaze with every step. The ivory train of her dress stretched along the path, its golden embroidery glistening in the bright sunlight. Hundreds of tiny rainbows flickered around the room as the light caught the tiny crystals pinned in her hair.

Slow steps led her down the aisle, everything fading to the background as she took in the man she was set to marry. Her knight waited at the front of the room, regal as any prince. His dark blue doublet edged in gold complemented her dress brilliantly, and he held her favourite flower: a single white rose. Elsa bit her lip; her every desire was coming true, down to the last detail. Her heart fluttered as he ruffled his silver hair nervously, revealing the scar on his upper brow. His chiselled jaw tightened with a smile as their eyes connected. With that one look, her flutters stopped.

As Elsa and Hiccup made their way to the base of the stairs, Jack bowed. Hiccup gave her a soft squeeze and a loving look before connecting her hand with Jack's. For a moment, everything else faded, and the room stood still as she took in her knight.

"People of Arendelle," Pabbie boomed, breaking her reverie. "We are here today to witness and share in a day of love. As you witness this union, pay attention to my words. This is a union we have not seen before, a covenant joining two people, two classes, and two futures into one. You are here at this remarkable time to usher in the new and watch the transformation of the old."
Lowering his arms, he looked at Elsa, then Jack.

"Jack, please take Princess Elsa's hands in yours." Princess Elsa took the offered rose from Jack and lifted it to her nose, enjoying the lingering scent, a sweet promise.

"Now we begin," Pabbie said, commanding the attention of the guests. From the pedestal before him, he poured deep red wine into a chalice. The cup shone with glittering gems along the rim, and an etched dragon curled up the golden stem. "From this moment, we combine the jewel of our kingdom, the promise of our future, with the strength of commitment and the demonstration of loyalty," he said, adding a clear liquid to the cup.

"Will the clear dilute the red or will the red stain the clear? Will the tastes blend, or contrast to the point of attacking the senses? With marriage, we risk the same, blending two individuals. Today we join the lives of Princess Elsa and Sir Jack with the hope of a fruitful future, a combination of their strengths and a dilution of weaknesses. Let their love blend them together like the fruits of this wine."

Princess Elsa and Jack watched as Pabbie swirled the chalice before him, closed his eyes, and began chanting. A soft hum surrounded them as Pabbie's trolls joined in the incantation. Their robes gleamed in the candlelight, and their arms rose in chant, their hoods down in secrecy.

The crowd began whispering, and Elsa looked around, seeing wonder and confusion in some faces. King Hiccup sat in the front, his head bowed and eyes closed. It had been over seventeen years since the exile, and no one remembered all of the old traditions. Elsa looked at Jack and smiled. Whatever rituals they had to go through, they would do it together.

"Princess Elsa," Pabbie said, holding out a hand. "Do you take Sir Jack to be your husband, your protector, and your equal in the future, for now, and forever?"

Elsa's eyes connected with Jack's, and a rush of butterflies fluttered through her. "For now and forever, I do," she said, biting her lower lip.

"Sir Knight," Pabbie said, turning toward Jack. "Do you take Princess Elsa to be your wife, your protector, and your equal in the future, for now, and forever?"

Jack let out a deep breath and looked her in the eyes. "For now and forever, I do," he said, choking up.

Pabbie smiled and swirled the chalice once more. "May this union be as sweet as this wine, as fruitful as the fruit which produced it, and as strong as the vines that continue to grow." He carefully poured two glasses of the mixed wine and handed it to them.

"For now and forever," Pabbie boomed, raising his arms up, inviting the trolls to join in. Their voices reverberated through the room, a sweet harmony echoing off the stained glass.

Elsa and Jack sipped their wine, tasting the sweet combination, knowing that their union had been blessed.

"People of Arendelle," Pabbie said over the music. "I present to you, Prince Jack and Princess Elsa."

The room shook as the people, the king, and the trolls offered their approval.

Jack leaned in and touched her chin. "My Princess," he said softly, lifting her lips to his.

"My Prince," she sighed, content, closing her eyes and leaning against his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart.

"Princess," Pabbie said.

"Hmmm," she murmured, not wishing to break the moment with Jack. "Yes, Pabbie, what is it?"

"Your Highness, I am sorry to intrude upon this moment, but we must prepare. Your father was very clear with his instructions. We are not to delay our departure. I was to see to the ceremonies today and for our travel tomorrow. Make whatever arrangements you need for yourself and your companions. Tomorrow, we leave."

Jack looked from Elsa to Pabbie. "Is it necessary? Tomorrow?" he asked.

"Yes, tomorrow. The dragon is still about, and King Agnarr was clear. Hiccup will be controlling the knights here, and we will be travelling north to develop your home near Dragon's Gate, as promised." He held his hand to dismiss any arguments. "Enjoy this evening, but tomorrow we go. Make sure your team is ready."

"So much for our happy ending," she mumbled, watching Pabbie move through the thinning crowd.

Jack turned her head with a soft trace of her jaw. "No one will ever get in the way of our happily ever after," he said, leaning in for a tender kiss.

Their eyes closed as the shadow of the dragon passed through the glass windows.