The Escape: Chapter One

"Father, this is beautiful!" Elsa squealed. A thrill ran through her as she felt the smooth bumps of the pearls and traced the silver embroidery. "I have to try this on!" She yelled, running into the other room.

Looking down at the dress, a wave of wonder rolled over her. Her father's gifts, although generous, never surprised her. There had been a pony for her fifth birthday, but 'Princess' had only lasted a few months. After tossing Elsa and breaking her arm, 'Princess' was also tossed. After that, gifts of books, embroidery, and music became normal.

This year was different. This dress was different. Effortlessly, the blue silk gown slipped up and over her head. She smiled at her image in the mirror. Never before had she looked so beautiful. Clinging to her new curves, the dress fit perfectly. Above the decorated bodice, her long, snow white hair shimmered against the pale blue silk. The gown was a shade lighter than the colour of her eyes and highlighted their beauty and depth. A Smile filled her face as she marvelled at the woman staring back at her. 

Remembering her father in the other room, she pried her eyes away from her reflection and peeked around the corner. Sitting in her oversized plush chair, he looked out of place. His dark crimson robe clashed with the soft blue and silver hues of the room. Entangled in a pile of winter pillows, soft dolls, and half-finished embroidery projects, King Agnarr kept his head low, twisting his fingers. Tears welled up as she recognised a rare moment of nervousness.

He looked up as she twirled around the corner. "How does it fit?" He asked eagerly, a smile stretched across his face. 

"Oh, father it's wonderful!" She exclaimed, spinning into his arms.

"My princess," he said, "you look beautiful." 

Elsa stepped back and twirled into a curtsy, showing the full effect of the gown. "Do you like it?" She asked.

"Darling, I love it, and I love you. Happy birthday. You'll capture everyone's eyes and heart this evening at the ball." He squeezed her hands and smiled. Elsa's heart soared at the pride twinkling in his eyes. 

She had noticed the frenzied stewards running in and out of the grand hall with food, decorations, fresh flowers, and music the past week, but hadn't given them a second thought. Decoration in the same fashion for years, the ball-and every other events-remained predictable.

Royal balls captured the hearts of everyone in Arendelle, everyone but Elsa. The years of duty, hiding behind poise and manners, wore on her. As she looked in her new gown and felt the smooth fabric over her skin, she hoped this year might be different. New visions played in her mind.

"I hardly think anyone will pay me too much attention," she said. 

Her father gave her a mischievous smile and wink. "Of course they will. This is more than our annual summer ball. Tonight, the ball is in your honour, for your betrothal." 

Princess Elsa's mouth dropped open. The playful smile on her father's face contradicted every emotion running through her.

"What?" She asked in a whisper, hoping she had heard wrong.She sat down and clutched a wintry blue pillow to her stomach. Anger and confusion boiled within. Her head shook with disbelief. "It can't be time for that already."

Her father raised his eyebrows, surprised at her reaction. "It's your sixteenth birthday, my dear. It's time, and furthermore, it's your duty."

She threw her pillow at her father and bit her lower lip at his scowl. "I'm not ready to be married. What about Hiccup instead? He'll happily do his duty." She refused to meet his eyes.

"Young lady, do not scoff me at the importance of duty. This is not about you."

"Not about me? You're talking about my future, my marriage!"