The Battle: Chapter Eleven

The air was frigid, a cold, blustery night that made their lips shrink and their arms press against their bodies for warmth. Snow slushed beneath their feet, and the winds howled defiantly, blasting them with chills as they continued through the woods, twigs crunching under their footsteps. They could see their breath, like steam from the bull's nostrils before the attack. A ragtag bunch, they didn't march in traditional formations or wear any customary armour. Nor were they united in their reason for fighting. Some were pledged to uphold the honourer of their prince, others came for money, and a few were simply out of their minds. Whatever the reason, Prince Hans used them to his advantage. With his last chance to acquire Princess Elsa, failure was not an option.

The morning sun continued to rise. They reached the outer edge of the forest and came upon the small community of thatched houses, stable, and farmland that surrounded the castle. Light trails of steam rose from the roots as the warmth of the sun beat down. A handful of chimneys were smoking with morning fires, and the aroma of fresh bread filled the air. A dozen of the men was up early in the fields, organising tools, hitching up horses, or making final preparations for the fall festival. They worked, oblivious to the growing mob at the forest edge. 

Prince Hans lined his men up, quieted their grunts, and regained their focus. "this is it, men, here is where we start: the king's village. They are nothing but poor workers, weak fighters, and fools. Let's show them what happens when they keep things that are not theirs. Take no prisoners and leave no spoils!"

The men grunted in response. lighting their torches and marching through the golden wheat fields towards the village. 

The villagers had little time to react. Looking up fro their work, they saw the mercenaries coming at them with raised torches. When a half-dozen mercenaries dropped their torches in the field, fire streamed through the air toward the villager's homes. Confusion gave way to fear as the first house went up in flames.

Screams rose through the air, and the men ran for weapons. The women and children fled towards the castle walls, babies wailing as their mothers threw them up on their shoulders and ran with all their might up the hill, not looking back in fear of the enemy's approach.

Prince Hans' men were thorough. They touched their torches to each home in the village, laughing as the roofs erupted in flames, the fire eating the homed and all the items within. Fights broke out over the gold and heirlooms that weren't destroyed by the fire. Metal clanged against metal. Prince Hans raised his sword.

"Men!" He yelled. "We do not stop here; this battle continues to the castle! Onward!" He shouted, kicking his horse.

Stomping to the front, he led his mercenaries out of the town. Smoke billowed up in their wake, showing their path of destruction to all. 

Panic marred the faces or the crowd as King Agnarr ordered the gates raised for his villagers to enter. He was astounded. Nothing like this had happened in the kingdom for decades. And now it happened on his watch. Each scream of pain felt like a stab wound in his stomach.

"Men!" King Agnarr ordered, "this gate stays open until all villagers are in. See to their safety. I will see to the attackers." King Agnarr twisted his body and stormed into the hall, calling for his knights and Prince Hiccup to meet him on the upper platforms.

Each step up the stairs fuelled the king's anger. By the time he reached their vantage spot, his face matched the crimson of his robe. His eyes gazed over the surrounding area. It was clear what had happened. Plumes of smoke rose high into the sky, blackening the air. He heard the pained cries of his men, the fearful shrieks of the women, and the wailing of the children. Footsteps sounded on the stairs. Prince Hiccup and Jack arrived at the top of the tower.

"Father, what's happening?" Hiccup asked, his eyes widening as he looked down at the village. "What did this?"

Jack looked from side to side, his face hardening as he focused on the group coming toward them. "Your Majesty," he said, pointing to the mercenaries. "We have company."

"Who is it? Who has done this?" Hiccup demanded, peering as far as he could over the edge.

"Look closely at the man in front: his armour that lion on his chest. That is our enemy." King Agnarr replied.

"That can't be," Hiccup protested. "That's Prince Hans' crest."

"Yes, Hans is behind this. Now we must figure out why," King Agnarr said, cupping his hand on Hiccup's shoulder. 

At that moment, Princess Elsa, Anna and Pabbie joined the men on the platform. Elsa's platinum hair flowed behind her in the wind. Her eyes glistened at the sight before her. 

"Father," she said horror in her voice. "Whats going on here? The courtyard is full of our villagers, frightened for their lives."

Anna peeked over the edge and covered her eyes to hide her growing tears.

"When the lion attacks the dragon, a new beginning awakens," Pabbie mused, recalling the cryptic words of the parchment.

Prince Hans' mercenaries had nearly reached the castle walls. Their sweaty stench rotted the air around them as they trampled their way forward. Their faces were muddy, fire-singed, and deranged by the time they approached the gates. Hans stood back and shook his hair in the wind. Looking up, he smiled at his eyes caught a glimpse of Princess Elsa on the tower above.

"Princess," he yelled so all could hear."You will be mine! I am here for you!" He tossed his head back. At his command, his men started forward, banging their hands on the steel gates. 

Princess Elsa shivered as her eyes connected with Hans'. She looked over at Jack, her lips trembling.

"But I don't understand. Prince Hans? Why?" Elsa asked, remembering the man she had danced with at her betrothal ball. "He seemed so ... so genuine. What happened?" Her voice shook, reeling at the sight before her.

"I know, my dear," said King Agnarr, trying to console her. The rest looked on, uncertain of their next steps. Jack reached out to hold Elsa's hand in his.

Prince Hiccup and King Agnarr looked at each other and then back to the others, shaking their heads.

"Badness isn't always easy to see, Elsa," said Prince Hiccup. "Sometimes it is simply felt in the heart. There had been something off about Hans ever since I first saw him come in looking for you. When he came back, demanding you, it had grown worse. He felt entitled. These feeling rarely add up to anything good, and now..." He trailed off, waving his hand, motioning to the courtyard.

"Some shift in his character has created all this?" She asked, watching the chaos below. Their people ran inside the square, gathering supplies for easier storage and dispersal. "How can we shift him back? There had to be a solution." 

"A solution for his character?" Prince Hiccup asked, "I fear it's too later for that. We need a plan of action."

"An answer to this attack," Jack jumped in, offering his support. "Sometimes, Elsa, " he said, "battle is simply a way to right a wrong when all other avenues are closed."

"And have all avenues been closed?" She demanded, tears in her eyes. "There has to be a way to stop this without more bloodshed."

"I don't know my dear," King Agnarr said, "but we will try. Gentleman, to my study."

"Father," Princess Elsa pleaded, "let me join."

"Some things are still for the men to decide," her father said. They walked out to make their battle plan.

Princess Elsa stared as the men disappeared into the tower stairs. Jack glanced back with a saddened smile before following orders. Elsa's outrage subsided, and a half-smile grew in its place. 

"They don't think they're going to get away with it that easy, do they?" She asked, looking at Anna. "It's a princess's duty to serve and protect her kingdom, right?"

"Oh no, Elsa," Anna shook her head. "What are you thinking this time?"