Chapter 8

I don't get why everyone hates school. Sometimes I'd just rather hang with my friends at school than my family. Like today. I was pissed off this morning about mainly everything. I was in a pissy mood for no reason and I just wanted to get away. Luckily it was Monday and I could get away.

Despite my anger I decided to be really nice to Maggie today. I want friends who are true friends not just followers. When I get to the bus stop Maggie's not there, so I'm all alone. Ugh. I sit with Amanda on the bus but I barely talk. At least I have her.

"Nicole, why aren't you talking to me?" Crap.

"Sorry. I just. Um I don't feel good." She nods her head in approval of my excuse and turns to talk to someone else. I guess that's kinda true because I feel like crap. 

When we finally get to school, I head directly to first period and ignore anyone trying to talk to me. By lunch I felt worse and I actually started to think I really was sick.

"Nicole, are you okay?" My nod doesn't satisfy my teacher and she sends me too the nurse. It's not like anythings wrong with me. I think. I decide to stop by the bathroom first and when I look in the mirror I nearly faint. My skin ghostly pale, silver eyes, and I can't seem to stop shaking. my head starts to pound and I get a really bad headache.

After only 5 minutes in the nurses' office, I'm waiting for an ambulance. Yes, an ambulance. 

Somehow I fall asleep and when I wake up I'm sitting in a standard hospital room with the annoying beeping. Then I realize every single person from my foster home huddles in the room. Some of the younger kids are playing around because they must not understand that usually its not a good thing to be in a hospital.

A nurse walks in but when all the faces stare at her she scurries out. My intimidating family. Sigh. 

The next time I wake, once again not knowing how I fell asleep, a female doctor, Dr. Arbor, stands to the side of me. As she studies me with her I eyes, I decide to study her.

Her dark brown hair helps her deep green eyes stand out, her bright red lipstick doesn't match anything, but best of all her true smile makes me feel safer.

"Whats wrong with me?" Her smile drops a little but rises back up as she explains, "Anemia is a condition in which the body doesn't have enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to the tissues. It can cause fatigue, pale skin, weakness, dizziness, headache, chest pain, and shortness of breath. There are many types of anemia and many causes, including blood loss and vitamin deficiencies."

I feel dizzy again and I black out.

"Nicole? Are you awake?" I know that voice.....