Chapter Sixteen

vote comment fan, please. (:

________________________________________

Ladon

Shasawna hurting Nate, that was my fault. I should have known that going out in public like that was a bad idea from the start. I knew what I was getting into when I first went with Taryn to that cabin. I knew that once that locket opened something bad was going to happen.

I just didn’t plan on everything going so downhill like this. Shasawna hurting Nate, stalking the girls. I didn’t count on her coming and I didn’t count on being so attached to Taryn the way I am. I don’t want to hurt anyone, especially not Taryn.

Now this, Taryn and Atira avoiding me because of what I'd pulled at the hospital; I can’t inch my way out of this. I can tell they both are terrified of me. Not that I think they know about my bloodline yet, like Nate does, but they still must think something when they’re avoiding eye contact and keeping a wide distance.

Hiding my face in my palms, I take a long, deep breath. I could be overreacting at everything. Taryn is busy cleaning; making sure that everything is clean for when her mother comes home from a business trip. Atira is just staying at Nate’s side; they are practically conjoined at the hip. There still might be a chance that they may have forgotten about everything that happened back there.

“Hey,” Nate mumbled, occupying the empty couch next to me, “Are you okay, Ladon?”

His voice startled me out of my wandering thoughts, “Yeah- Yeah I’m fine.” I stuttered, running a hand through my unruly hair.

“Are you certain?” He furrowed his brows, unconvinced.

Shrugging, I gave an uncertain little nod.

“Look-” He began, “I don’t know what happened back there- and believe me I really don’t want to know as long as it didn’t bring harm to Atira or Taryn- but you must’ve done something that deserves an apology because I’ve never seen someone look like that.” His finger pointed at Taryn over his shoulder. Literally on her hands and knees, she was scrubbing the floor with force. Her eyes were sunken and tired. Her hair lay distraught in a bun on the very top of her head, seemingly worried. I turned back to Nate, clearing my throat.

Meeting his eyes, I saw concern and trust, something that obviously wasn’t too popular with me at the moment, “I’m pretty sure they think that I’m some kind of psycho maniac who just took out two innocent men with my bare hands.” I confided.

His eyes widened with shock, their interest suddenly blooming to a bright bud. “Who were they? What did they want?”

“I don’t know why and I don’t know who.”

“So how did you know that they were a threat?”

Sighing, I rubbed the weariness out of my eyes, “If you would have saw, trust me, you would have known.”

“Were they-”

“Part of my bloodline?” I finished his sentence, “I wouldn’t know. My father doesn’t really let me be with anyone but Taryn. Not that I mind.” My eyes flashed to Taryn and then back to Nate’s.

Assenting, he let out a sigh, “Then I guess, if they show up again, we’ll know,” Nate’s lips gave a tight grin, “In the meantime, I think you should talk to Taryn.” He began to stand, “If you don’t have their trust, than you can’t have mine.” His tone affirmed.

I watched, as Nate began to jaunt away towards the spare bedroom to check on Atira, unsure whether the little conversation made me feel better or more worse and guilty. But my pondering was short-lived when the sudden sound of breaking of glass and mumbling of curses arose.