Chapter Seven

Unknown

She was gone again. That stupid girl and her guard friend Nate. This time I sensed something different though. Like they were gone from this century. If they have gone to the future with her brat of a sister, things may not end well.

If they figure out a way to break the curse, the royal family will not get the punishment they deserve. That twin, Taryn, needs to stay forward in time for them to feel the pain of what they know they deserve. Their comeuppance WILL be painful for all the agony they caused. I can’t let Atira ruin this for me.

Grasping the chain around my neck I yanked the orb out of the rags wrapped around my thin body. I curl my long curved fingers over it and mutter the words ‘let me see, the one I seek.’

On the glass and image swirled around and came to a standstill, stopping on a picture of Nate talking to a boy and Taryn. They chatted animatedly, Nate throwing his arms up in the air and waving them around the room.

So they were gone. Now, where was that pain in my side, Atira? I spun the orb once and it landed on a scene: Atira, laying in a bed, soaking wet and chilled to the bone. Did they go for a swim? Well if she dies, this makes my job insanely easier. If they don’t check on her soon, she will die of pneumonia.

I switched the scene back to Nate and a boy. Where did they evil girl Taryn go now? Fantastic, she is checking on Atira. Now I will have to kill both myself. I was really counting on that one being taken out.

Tired of watching the young menaces, I shove the orb back into the folds of my rags. This is starting to get frustrating. Just when I thought I would have a millennium of peace and quiet, another little brat has to go and ruin it for me. Being a witch gave me more time to live than the rest, and I did not want to waste any more of it chasing after children who think they are doing what is right.

“Wanda!!!” I yelled my servants name, knowing it was unnecessary because she was always right outside my room, I just wanted to irritate someone. She ran into the room and bowed her head, waiting for my orders.

“Yes, master Shasawna?” She spoke in a quiet voice, not wanting to anger me further. Knowing my wrath can be quite dreadful. Let us just say that the last servants cannot tell the tale. A few might have come down with the measles, or might have become one, I can never remember. Others are in a real slimy situation, their minds might be a little froggy -Oh I meant to say foggy, but what is the difference really?

“Pack my things. I’m going to be gone for a couple of weeks, so I want you to tell the other servants to watch the cottage. Keep away intruders, looters, guards, and any traders. I loathe traders. Actually scratch that, if a trader comes by, please offer them some of my ‘relaxing wine’. That will relax them to their grave.” I cackled at my joke and kicked Wanda in the shin for the fun of it. She winced but got up and went to my closet to start packing.

“Would you like me to pack your weapons, master?” She asked as politely as she could, barely hiding the irritation in her voice. I cackled again. Torturing the servants was just too much fun. I picked up an unused hairbrush and threw it at her. I cackled as it bounced off the back of her head, laughing even harder when she replaced the lump with her hand, rubbing the spot that just got hit.

“Imbecile! Of course I want my weapons packed! Now hurry up, I’m getting impatient and I have a lot more items I wouldn’t mind throwing. My aim is straight-on today!” My laugh echoed around the room, intensified by my servants shiver.

I will find those girls, and I will take out the guard also, just to cause them pain. First I will need to frustrate the guard, he will be the tough one to defeat. I guess I could just call in the assassins. They could kill them all within the hour, but that would ruin the fun of me torturing them wouldn’t it?

Yes, those assassins will be around. Maybe I can speak to them, make sure their alliance to me is still strong. If not, I can change that. What do they call themselves now? Oh yes, the Assassins of the Night. Dangerous name, for a dangerous group of people.

The leader though, he is more than dangerous, he is the persona of the devil himself. The Blythe family. The ones in that girl, Taryn’s, time. And his son, so promising I’d imagine. I wonder what he looks like now. His father must have him well-trained.

Best assassins yet. Even though I ordered them to kill the daughter many years ago. The man said he wanted his son to do it. To kill the girl on his first assignment. I’m hoping they don’t make me regret sending their family so far ahead of time. If I am to regret it, then I was surely a fool. The boy was just a newborn then. Still, I trust the assassins, they’ll prevail.

Even though the name of the boy did not come to mind now, I will make sure he gets to kill her. I will make sure he gets the job done, because I have a feeling that if his job has not been done yet, he will never get it done. If he refuses, I will make sure he is present when I stand over her dead body in victory.

“WAAANNNDDDDAAAA!” I screamed the servants name, irritating her even further. She pushed her palms onto her ears trying to block out my screech.

“Bring Shardas! Make sure his accommodations are most comfortable also. He has been getting terrible stomach aches!” I yelled at her once more, pushing her to the edge. I knew if I did anything else she would storm off. It was more fun annoying the servants than firing them, or my unconventional way of firing. It was a pain in the you-know-what to try and get replacements.

I wanted my pet to come along with me too. He also had interesting powers like me. You could say he looked like an iguana, or maybe even a lizard if you were a moron. Shardas is quite unlike regular lizards though. He is a rare specimen, known only to me, the witch who created him. He used to be a wizard, a powerful one. Of course I changed that, we couldn’t have any competition for the strongest witch/wizard in the world can we? So now he does my bidding, and I have a new pet!

Shardas stalked into the room, hearing his name being called. I waved him over and he hopped onto the nightstand next to me. I ran a wrinkled hand across his back and tapped on his head. He flicked his forked tongue out and shook his head.

“We are going to have some fun Shardas. We are going to check on our assassins.” I spoke just above a whisper, making sure the maid couldn’t hear.

“Throw me my pack Wanda!” I held out a hand, not even bothering to look. Knowing if I didn’t catch it, I would blame it on her anyway. I felt the bags strap land around my outstretched arm perfectly. This servant might be a keeper. She actually has a good throw.

“You know what to do Shardas.” I tapped his head again and watched him close his eyes. A low hum escaped his throat, seeming to shake the entire room. I closed my eyes also, reveling in the power buzzing around. When I opened them, I was no longer in my dreary castle.

The sound of girls laughter echoed through the clearing I now stood in. Trees surrounded me. Tall elms shoot from the ground. They were here. Now they were going to get a little surprise.