Chapter Fifteen

Atira

“We seriously aren’t going to do this.”

Ladon’s tone was doubtful. Standing there in doctors scrubs and Nate in a wheelchair, I guess anyone would be doubtful.

Taryn grinned over her shoulder at him, snapping her rubber gloves on tighter.

“We seriously are.” Then she took off down the hallway, pushing Nate’s wheelchair as she left. Seeing as though there is no choice in the matter, I grabbed a flat piece of wood I had seen doctors carrying around and writing on, and followed Taryn. With a defeated sigh, Ladon followed me, pretending to point out stuff on the ‘clipboard’ as he calls it.

We decided to let Taryn pull ahead of us and not walk together in case one of us got caught. Also the fact that three teens walking around in scrubs was not at all suspicious. At all. Hey, Taryn is starting to, how does she say it? Rub off on me. I love it.

Most of the nurses we passed paid no attention to us. They were either looking down at their clipboard or talking with someone. We were fine until we almost made it to the doors.

“Hey, are you those college students who volunteered over the summer last year? Finally got a job here, huh?” A man in a white overcoat asked us. Sewed into the pocket were the words ‘Dr. Christ’.

Ladon and I froze. I had no idea what ‘college’ meant. Nor ‘volunteered’. Dr. Christ gave us a strange look, probably wondering why we weren’t replying. In a spur of the moment decision, I gave Ladon the clipboard and ran down the hallway.

I could practically feel Ladon’s exasperation. I faintly heard him tell the doctor we had a patient that was very ill, and that yes, yes we were the student volunteers from the summer. Then he proceeded to sprint to catch up with me.

“What was that?!” Ladon asked me incredulously. I hung my head in shame. I know I should have stayed and helped him out. My running probably did not help our situation.

“I got put on the spot, I got nervous.” I said, hoping my apology was clear. Then I cracked a smile, ‘put on the spot’. That was another saying I learned from Taryn.

Ladon didn’t appreciate my new lingo. His problem, not mine.

“That could seriously get us in trouble, we need to get out here.” He then started after Taryn, trying to catch up. She was all the way down the hallway though, and there were already nurses giving us strange looks. We just have to make it down this hallway and out to the car. We could make it. We could, maybe. We just need a little more time.

Then it was literally a light at the end of the tunnel. I could see the doors, Taryn already in the parking garage, pushing Nate towards the car. We got to the doors, and it all went downhill.

A man in black was waiting for us just outside the hospital doors. Scratch that, three men in black were waiting for us. Yet Taryn and Nate were no where in sight.

I didn’t need to see Ladon’s expression to know these men were not going to show us to our car. I looked anyway, and I saw Ladon start mouthing a countdown.

Five.

“Excuse me, I need to have a few words with a ‘Ladon Blythe’.” One of the men spoke and turned to Ladon.

Four.

Wait a second, Blythe? Why does that sound familiar?

Three.

“Officer, I think I just saw him go inside. He’s one of my good friends, if I may ask, what mess did he get himself into?” Ladon said calmly, slowly looking me in the eye, then looking at the car in the distance. I got the message.