Chapter 14

Monday, October 21, 2002

Kendrick's POV

    I was so tempted to go and spy on La'quanda and Aunt K. Luckily, I didn't have to. La'quanda stormed out before Aunt K could say a word. Well, I'm assuming that's what happened because I didn't hear any yelling.

    "La'quanda! La'quanda, wait!" Aunt K yelled as she chased La'quanda down the hall into the living room. La'quanda turned around behind the couch Pops and Uncle D we were sitting in. I had a perfect view of the two of them.

    "What?!" La'quanda asked. My eyes widened. Her words came out unnecessarily loud and the attitude she gave to her own mother was astonishing.

    "La'quanda, don't roll your neck at me like that!" Aunt K said, pointing at La'quanda. La'quanda's gon' get it, today, I thought. La'quanda rolled her eyes. "La'quanda! What is up with you?!"

    "Nothing," La'quanda dragged out. She seemed so uninterested and ready to leave.

    "Well, there must be something! How you gon' just up and leave like that. Your father and I were worried sick about you! Janine been crying like there ain't no tomorrow. Do you know how hard it is to take care of somebody else's infant?" Aunt K put her hands on her hips and rolled her neck.

    "Momma, I am 15! I shouldn't know!"

    "You know what, La'quanda? You're right. You shouldn't know. I don't know what the hell told you to go sleepin' around--"

    "Momma!" La'quanda cut her off. "How many times I gotta say I'm sorry?! I know what I did was wrong, why you always tryna guilt me even more?! It's not like you have room to talk. Weren't you 16 when you had me?!" In the background, it sounded like Moms dropped some pots and pans. I fought every urge to laugh hella loud. Momma was ruining the moment.

    Aunt K paused for a moment. Her body language showed how much hurt ran through her. My dad stood up and said, "Aye, how about we go play some ball?"

    "I'm down," Uncle D said as he stood up also.

    "But there's only 3 of us," I argued, my ass still planted on the couch. La'quanda and her mom were staring at each other with hate in their eyes. That moment was pretty intense. Pops shot me a death stare, so I quickly got up from the couch and ran to the backyard. Uncle D and Pops laughed as they followed.

    Once I got to the backyard, I made my way to the garage to get my favorite ball. Pops got Tupac and Dre to sign it for me the day he brought me to watch them shoot California Love down the street. That was probably the best day ever.

    I bounced the ball back out to the pavement and took a shot at the hoop Pops built when I was 4. Swoosh.

    "Ayye, you still got it, huh?" Pops laughed.

    "Yeah, man!" I said in my Usher voice.

    "Hol' up, now! Let me show you how a real nigga ball!" Uncle D said, cockilly grabbing the ball and bouncing it across the street.

    "You ain't gon' get that," I said, crossing my arms. He wasn't even facing the backboard. You would've needed some incredible aiming skills to get it in that accurately.

    "Watch me," Uncle D said, smirking. Pops crossed his arms and watched him, waiting for him to miss.

    Uncle D got in position. He held the ball in front of his head, a little bit higher. He placed his right hand under it correctly, using his left hand to support it. He bent his knees. He jumped. The ball went spiraling on its back across the street. We all watched the ball as it inched closer and closer to the hoop. I was so sure it wasn't gonna go in. And sure enough, SWOOSH!