Chapter 6: High School Reunion

Mark's POV.

Finally, we're back at the high school. I was the first one out of the car, grabbing my crowbar and darting towards the front door, trying to open it. I pulled on it with all the strength I had, violently pulling it until it became loose and opened, causing me to fall backwards onto the concrete walkway. Wade, Bob, Molly, Mandy and Tom were still at the cars, figuring out some sort of 'game plan' to find the people in the school and convince them to come along with us to Chicago. I got up and was about to call back to them, until I heard screams. Eardrum shattering, blood hurdling screams. It caught everyone else's attention, too.

(A/N. Song on the right! 'New Divide' by Linkin Park!)

Wade, Molly, Bob, Tom and Mandy grabbed the weapons they had and caught up with me. I was already booking it down the halls, too afraid for the little kid and her group to remember where I was going. I turned a corner, my friends and brother somewhere behind me, their footfalls becoming increasingly louder as they became closer to me. I froze. The infected, they made it inside. They found the group. There was too many for them to fight off. As my people caught up with me, anticipating a second to catch their breath, I ran to the group, crowbar up and ready to knock off the heads of any infected that came towards me. The kid was the first one I defended.

I jabbed my crowbar into the back of the head of one of the monstrous creatures, forcing it to collapse. I went after the other infectious being right after. The little girl was keeping as much distance between herself and it as possible. Kicking it back and doing whatever she could to spare her life. I turned its attention to me by yelling at it. The creature turned, instantly rushing me. I held my crowbar in the air and the bar came down with as much force as I could muster into it. The infected fell to the ground with a thud, cracking its skull and spattering brain matter all over the floor, completely dead. Before any others noticed her, I grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the situation taking place in front of the innocent kid's eyes.

"Guys! Let's go! We have to leave! Now! There's too many!" I yelled to my group of friends and my brother. They were doing what they could to save the rest of the little girl's team of survivors.

"No!" She screeched. "You can't leave them! They're with me! Please!" I pulled her to run as Wade, Mandy, Tom, Bob and Molly caught up with us before the infected noticed our group. They seemed too preoccupied with the seven human feast they'd found.

"You have to trust me," I told her. "We came back for you and the others. There's too many for us to fight alone. I'm sorry. But your safe. That's what matters. Okay?" I tried being calm for the kid, to get her to stop crying.

"B-but you can try! I can't leave them to die! What about my mom and daddy!? I can't leave them! I-I have to stay! My aunt Harley! My parents! No!" She fought against my grip, desperately wanting to go back to her family and friends.

"We did, okay!? Believe me, kid! We tried! There were too many! You have to calm down, before the infected turn the attention back to you. Do you want to die? Do you want to be one of those things!? You can't go back! That's a suicide wish! I can't let you go. Chloe, I'm serious. Please, come with us. We'll protect you. You've gotta believe me. I wouldn't lie to you."

"Mark! Let's go! Before those things run out of food!" Bob yelled. Tom smacked him in the back of the head with his hand, making him realize what he just said in front of the kid.

"Okay, Chloe?" Molly came over to us. "We're only here to protect you. Mark, Mandy, Tom, Wade, Bob and I all just want to help you survive. We're so very sorry we couldn't save everyone else. We just want to help. That sound fair? We'll keep you safe." Molly spoke in a calm and soothing voice, helping the girl calm down. She was still crying but her mind was more collected.