Chapter 8: Convincing The Others

Mark's POV.

"Chicago? You want us four to go with you seven, to Chicago? Why should we do that?" Stacy asked me.

"I want to find that damn doctor! I just told you that! We find him, we possibly find a way to fix this!" I yelled.

"Hey, hey, hey. You've gotta be fucking joking right now. Do we know where this guy is, or if he's alive?" Trace wanted to know.

"Well, I know he's in Chicago. But he may have evacuated to a safe zone by now. The Safe Zone Recruiters may know where he is. Some people in Chicago may know. We just have to get there."

"Yeah right," this Stacy girl is pissing me off.

"Mark!?" There's Tom with my cue. "Mark! What are you doing? Who are these people? I heard a gun go off, are you okay?" Molly, Mandy and Chloe were walking alongside him, obviously concerned for us too.

Devin's face turned into a guilty expression. "That was me. I fired the shot. Sorry about that," he said, raising his hand to catch Tom's attention.

"What? Why?"

"Well, from on that rooftop over there," he pointed to the building down the street. "these three looked a lot like those zombie things..."

"You shot at my brother!? What the hell!? Why the fuck would you do that!? Looking like one of those from a distance or not, you don't shoot at my little brother, you prick!"

Trace went to go after Tom until I broke them up, standing between them. "Hey!" I yelled. Cut it out! Trace, leave him alone! He didn't know!"

Trace backed off and I looked over to my brother, who had anger increasing in his eyes every second. I gripped his shoulder, making him look in my eyes.

"Cut it out Tom. I'm fine, Wade and Bob are fine. Stop trying to kill people, alright? It wasn't like the kid was intentionally wanting to kill any of us once he figured out we were human. Just calm down already. You understand me?" He nodded. "Okay."

"Hold on!" Jack yelled. "We're forgetting someone!"

"What? Who?" I asked, intrigued at what he would say.

"The girl in the building down the street from us! Elise! I was going to check on her until you three distracted me by almost getting killed by our rooftop prowler here. You guys can come with me if you want. It's just a small dentist office around the corner. C'mon! We aren't even thinking of leaving anywhere without Elise!" The others had a look of realization as Jack started running down the street with his pistol in hand. We all started running alongside him to the small building around the corner of the abandoned street.

I picked up Chloe and ran with her, keeping up with the other eight ahead of us two. Three minutes of running, and there stood before us, a boarded up and securely locked up building, containing the last person we need to complete our group. From how important she seemed to the people who knew her, she must've been vital to them. From what it looked like, she knew what she was doing in all this. I was simply surprised with how fast individuals could team up and figure out a plan within the half a week we've all had to deal with these infected things in Ohio. Impressive, for sure. Trace, Jack, Stacy and Devin went up to the door and knocked as my people lingered behind.

I saw a figure of someone walked through the front room and make their way to the door, obviously knowing it was those four who were there. The door opened, revealing a girl, looking like she was nineteen at least, no way she was any younger or any older. She had brownish colored hair that was pull up in a hair-tie and had greyish blue-green eyes, she looked to be 5'9, close to my own height, wearing a black sweatshirt, faded blue skinny jeans and a pair of grey Chucks, keeping a tight grip on a pistol in her right hand.