Chapter 20: Kid At Wits End

Mark's POV.

It's the middle of the night, and I can't even begin to try and sleep. Chloe hasn't had too much luck either. So after a few hours of attempting to fall asleep, I decided that I'd get up and walk around for a while. Chloe asked to join me and I said it was fine. So, here we sit. In the makeshift cafeteria, eating cereal. Chloe slumped back in her chair when she finished and looked around aimlessly. As if she was thinking.

"Hey Mark?" she asked me suddenly.

"What's up kiddo?"

"Have you ever wondered why we haven't died yet?"

"W-what? What's that supposed to mean?"

"I thought the question was self-explanatory... I wanted to know if you've ever wondered why we haven't died yet."

"Why would you ask me that...?"

"Just a question."

"What exactly do you mean by it though?"

"Like, why we've come so close to being killed, but our lives have been spared? Why we're always one step ahead or one brain too smart to have anything fatal happen to us?"

"Luck," I blurted out. Probably too fast.

"What a lie."

"Really? You think I'm lying when I give you that answer?"

"I can tell you're lying. You fit the profile of someone who thinks everything happens for a reason, not just because."

"So, what of it?"

"What do you think is the reason we aren't dead? My original question."

"Uh, okay. Maybe because I'm paired with a child Einstein."

"Mark, for goodness sake. Quit that."

"Jeez, fine then. I don't know why. Maybe in this world it is in fact luck."

"Is that your real answer?"

"Honestly? Yes. It is. I don't know what this is. But it seems whole hell of a lot like luck."

"How long do you think our so called 'luck' will stay in our favor?"

"I wish I could tell you that I knew..."

"You know, you don't seem to worry about your situation. Not know where Tom and the rest of the group is? Almost dying a week ago? We live in a zombie apocalypse? Your mom and sister-in-law are dead and Tom's kids were taken away? Why aren't you scared?"

"If I were to be scared, then I couldn't focus on anything else. Like taking care of you."

"Do you blame Jack for what happened to you?"

"My arm? I don't even try to think about it anymore. Yeah, for the first few days I did, but, now? I kind of just don't care. I just try to tell myself that the only thing that matters is that I'm not dead and healing fine."

"But Jack's the reason we all got separated. Because he got you hurt and put you into a position where you were deemed helpless. He knew that you wouldn't stop when Tom said we couldn't keep going, he knew you'd leave."

"From what you told me, the only thing those guys need to do it swallow their pride and calm down. Tom's perfectly capable of leading you guys when I'm not there. He's just too proud and too stressed out to realize," I said with a mouthful of cereal.

"I don't know..."

"Okay." I cleared my throat and sat up, leaning towards Chloe. "I know what you told me about everyone threatening one another and getting into arguments. That you needed me back. That I was there before, I shouldn't have up and left. Chlo' believe me, I need you guys too. But it was partly my fault for all this happening. I protested instead of just doing my job. And the consequences of that were bad. I've killed a bunch of those infected, and I wimped out at the wrong time. And it was my choice to leave and not listen to my brother who was looking out for me. It was my fault for not staying in one spot for long enough for you guys to find me. I kept moving. And, you know, if I would've manned up instead of wimping out, this wouldn't have happened. So, really Jack isn't to blame. It's me who's at fault."

"And you're just going to let yourself think that? That's it's your fault?"

"Rightfully. That's all I can do. I have to, because it makes sense Chloe."

"No, it doesn't! It wasn't your fault at all! Why are you saying it is!?"

"Chloe! Calm down! You're being too loud. People are sleeping here."

"Who cares!? Screw them! You're making this difficult Mark! You're being stupid about it! Now I understand why you call me a genius! Because you're the biggest idiot that ever ceased to exist!"

"Chloe, really. I know what you're saying, and I get it. I understand. But are you seriously going to get mad over something so simple?"

"It's not just you that makes me mad! It's the entire world that pisses me off! I haven't gotten time to rage and blame everyone else yet! What better time than now!" Chloe shouted, sending echoes through the room we were in.

I tried calming her down, but she wouldn't listen. Chloe was absolutely determined to be infuriated. It was good for her to get it out in a certain context, just not this one. Chloe was yelling, almost waking everyone up. I heard the quiet sound of a door opening and closing and I knew someone had heard Chloe yelling. I saw a figure at the entry way. Matthias. He looked at me, giving a confused look. I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head, implying I didn't know what was making Chloe so mad. Chloe looked behind her, eyes glowing with anger, and saw Matthias there. She growled and swiftly rushed past him, shoving him out of her way. I watched as she sprinted down the hallway and into our designated room, slamming the door behind her with a echoed bang following it.

"Um, Mark...?" Matthias hesitated.

"I don't, know... But, now I've to repair something I have no experience with. Go me. You uh, you mind if I-"

"No, it's okay. You go ahead. Good luck Mark."

"Yeah. Thanks Matthias," I said, patting his shoulder as I walked past him. "Oh hey, sorry for waking you up bud."

"No problem. I was already up and came out when I heard yelling."

"Alright. I'll see you later man."

Matthias nodded and I kept walking down the hallway to mine and Chloe's room. I tried opening the door, but it was locked. I have a mad little ten year old on my hands. I knocked, no answer. Knock again, no answer. Once more, nothing.

"Chloe? Are you kidding me? Open the door. This is my room too, you know," I said to the door.

"No," was all I heard back.

"Chloe. I'm serious. Please just let me in."

"No."

"Hey, little zom zom slayer, open thing ding dong damn door."

"No."

"Ugh." I let my forehead hit the door in defeat. "You know what, fine."

"Go away."

"If you'd let me finish this'd be easier..."

"I can't hear anything but your loud mouth."

"Whatever I did to irritate you, I'm sorry. Okay? I don't know what happened just now, but it wasn't right and I apologize. I don't know what's going through your little brain of yours, but I can talk to you about it if need be. Try to understand? I'd love nothing more to help you, zom zom slayer. But I can't try anything, if you don't let me know what's going on."

"'Zom zom slayer...?"

"Well, yeah. It's what you and I do. Slay zom zoms like Joel and Ellie."

I heard little feet padding across the floor and a click. The door opened and I lifted my head from the frame. I little silhouette appeared in the doorway from the dark room that I knew very well. Chloe stepped forward and wrapped her small arms around my torso.

"I'm sorry," Chloe said quietly.

"Don't have to be, kiddo. It's okay. Can I come in the room now?"

"Yeah..."

"Good. You need sleep and so do I. Get your body in the sleeping bag, and your head on the pillow, and sleep. Doing a lot of stuff tomorrow. Can't have you tired. Sound like a plan?"

"Okay..."

(A/N. 11:30 PST. with an update on a Friday! I fulfilled my promise! Yay! Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think in the comments and I'll see you in the next video! Buh~Bye!!! ~Melynda! Aka Luxor.)