Chapter 15: Welcome to Indiana

Chloe's POV. (A/N. Awh, how cute!)

"Mark, how much further until Chicago?" I asked as I placed a sticker on a building wall. He shrugged his shoulders.

"Don't know. I think we're really close to the Indiana border by now. Then we just have to navigate our way through there. I think I remember hearing a broadcast saying that there was a city in Indiana that's not doing so good. Muncie, I think it was. We should probably avoid that place as best we can."

"Alright... How long will that take?"

"I can't say for sure... I just hope it doesn't take too long."

"Mark? Can I ask you a question you don't want to hear?" He looked at me a little confused then nodded.

"Sure you can, Chlo'. What's up?"

"Where am I going when this is over?"

"What? What do you mean?"

"When everything is the way it was before, am I going to go with some foster family? Am I staying with you or someone else?"

"Uhhh," Mark sighed, running his hand through his messy brown hair. "I, um... I-I don't know..."

"I don't expect you to, really. I don't think anyone knows anything about much anymore. Especially about some measly kid like me."

"Woah. Hold on. Pause that, play it back. Measly kid? No way. Geniuses are not measly kids. They're extraordinary people. Just stuck in a kid's body. You're ten, not two. Just like you said. You understand me, Chloe?"

"Fine... But, are you sure you don't know where I'll be? It's pretty simple. Either you keep me, or some strangers do. I'd honestly rather stay with someone who kept me from being eaten by a monster. Then I'd be with someone I know actually cares about me and can take care of me like their own kid."

"Until this is over, you'll be staying with me."

"I didn't ask you that. I asked you about when it was over. When there's no more monsters trying to eat our fabulous faces."

"Heh. We are pretty fabulous."

"Markiplier..."

"I know... I don't know what we're doing- what you're doing, when this is over. All I can promise you is a family that's here through the whole 'human extinction event'."

"So, what you're telling me, is that while you're here, you're my family?"

"While I'm here, yeah."

"What am I supposed to call you then? Brother, uncle, cousin, dad?"

"J-just family for now. I'm surprised you didn't throw 'grandpa' in there."

"You're not old enough to be my grandpa."

"Thank god. I'm only fourteen years older than you. Even if I had a kid the second I was born, the possibility of them having a kid, is practically impossible."

"Do you have any kids? Or have you had any kids?"

"No."

"Girlfriend, wife?"

"I've had a few girlfriends in my life, sure. But I've never been married, no."

"Have you ever thought about having any kids?"

"I'm sure it's probably crossed my mind once or twice the past few years. Why?"

"Ever thought about adopting a kid after a world-wide tragedy? Like, I dunno, a kid who lost their family and was taken care of by the person who fixed and saved the world from zombies? Then the kid was given up to a foster home and never thought she'd see the person she could call 'family' again?"