Chapter 12

VJ Ch 12

The footage was very grainy, but it looked like a security tape. It was black and white, and had the date and time down at the bottom right corner.

"We have to fast forward a bit to get to the action." Tory says in a mischievous voice.

She fast forwards until it was 12:30 in the morning. A dark figure walked up to the ATM wearing camo pants with a black shirt and baseball cap. Tory smirks when she comes into view, like this is her star moment in the movie, which, for a thief, it kinda is. She starts unlocking something at the bottom of the machine and then a bunch of money falls out. She's obviously happy about this because she jumps up and says "YES!"

We watch her stealing for about 3 minutes before a bright light appears over her head and then the camera adjusts, making it to where you can just make out a symbol glowing and floating on top of her head. Then she kinda freaks out and runs off.

"I thought that bright light was a cop or something, so I ran." Tory says.

"Well, I think we can see that you have already been claimed." says Chiron.

"Really?! By who?!" Tory exclaims in excitement.

"Obviously Hermes, seeing the way you robbed that ATM. The symbol over your head just proves it." I tell her.

She looks very pleased with herself and Conner looks a bit shocked.

"She's my sister?" Conner asks.

"He's my brother?" Tory replies.

"Happy family reunion!" I tell both of them.

They're kinda weirded out for a second until Tory's excitement comes back. She seemed really psyched about learning about her dad and her special abilities.

What she wasn't excited about, though, was the cabin she was going to stay in. It was really weird, I showed her the Hermes cabin and her attitude just changed. The smile on her face kinda dropped, especially when she had to sleep on a bottom bunk. I thought that she would like the cabin. It wasn't dirty or anything and had some pretty cool fixtures.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Oh, nothing, I like it a lot, it's really cool." she tells me.

"Are you sure? You looked a little disappointed."

"No, this place is great! I should probably start unpacking my stuff."

At that she starts to unpack her stuff. She first unpacks a small photo of a woman that looked like Tory holding a baby. I'm guessing that's her mom. Then she unpacks a small white stuffed toy cat with blue eyes. It looked pretty beat up, but you could tell she really loved it because she kinda looked at it in the way Percy and I look at the ocean.

'Maybe she has a softer side.' I think to myself.

It isn't until Travis leans on my shoulder that I realize I was just standing there, lost in thought.

"Whatcha thinking about?" he asks.

"Oh, nothing."

"You can't lie to a son of Hermes. That's like trying to outsmart Athena."

"Or Annabeth."

"Exactly." We both laugh.

Tory walks up to us.

"Hey, Connor." she tells Travis.

Connor comes up and puts his arm around me. Tory just looks at us.

"Um, Connor aren't you gonna get this guy off your girlfriend?" she asks Travis.

"I'm not Connor. I'm Travis, his older brother. And, come to think of it, your older brother, too." he smiles.

"Whoa. That must really come in handy when you need an alibi." she says.

"You have no idea." Connor laughs.

The dinner horn sounds.

"Come on, we'll tell you about how handy having a lookalike is." Travis tells her.

Tory gets a gleam in her eye. "This should be good."

"Trust me, it will be." I say.

THE VERY NEXT DAY . . .

"You want me to what?" I ask.

It's right after breakfast when Tory comes up to me and asks me to train her.

"Just train me. You know, help me find a weapon, teach me how to use it, and then see how I do." she says.

"All right, sure. First stop, the Armory."

We head over to the Armory.

"Whoa." she says, taking in all the bronze glory of the Armory.

I just smirk. "Nice, huh?"

"YEAH." she gawks.

"So, typically the weapon just feels right, like it belongs with you. Any specifics?" I ask.

"Well, I'm a lot more familiar with a knife, so why don't I try . . . that one." she says, completely transfixed on twin wrist knives.

"Like to get personal with your victims, huh?" I smirk.

"Crossed my mind once or twice." she smiles evilly. "Either way, these are wicked."

She straps them on and for a few moments, they look like bracelets with lillies engraved on them. She smiles sadly.

"Is that what they look like through the Mist?" she asks. I nod. "They match my necklace." she says. After that she snaps out of it. "And they're razor sharp. Awesome."

"Glad you like 'em. Now it's time to go try 'em out."

"THIS is gonna be fun." she smirks.

'Maybe she's having a little TOO much fun.' I think as I walk with her to the Arena.

30 MINUTES LATER . . .

Tory's breathing hard and glaring at me. She charges, her arms drawn back to give her slashes more momentum. I crouch, getting ready as she draws closer and closer from the opposite end of the Arena. A few more seconds . . . gotta time it just right . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . NOW! I dash toward her, jump up, and grab her shoulders, practically doing a handstand over her at 10 miles an hour. I hold on to her shoulders, make a flawless landing, and fling Tory over my head onto the ground. I point kateyitha at her as she groans.

"Wanna play again?" I smirk.

"I hope I never have to do that again." she groans, glaring at me.

"You should be proud. That's the longest anyone's ever lasted." I Iaugh. "But, seriously, you've got some skills."

At that, she brightens up a bit. We clean up, getting ready for dinner.

"So, I've been meaning to ask you: Can I get in on capture the flag?" she asks.

"You already are. And thank the gods you're on my team." I smile.

"Likewise." she laughs.

As we leave the Arena, we hear the dinner horn.

"I'll get Annabeth to fill you in on the battle strategy. But with your fighting skills, you're a shoo in for offense. No killing, maiming, or anything too bad, though, so be an assassin with a conscience." I tell her.

"All right, fine." she fake sighs.

We just laugh all the way to our tables.

"Have a good day?" Percy smirks as we start to eat.

"You could say that." I smile.