Chapter 4

"Bye y'all!" I called to the already protesting pegasi.

As I passed by the camp store, I heard some noise and stopped to look around. I quickly found the cause and wasn't really surprised.

"Ahem." I said, clearing my throat loudly.

Connor and Travis immediately stiffened and stood up from where they were picking the lock on the camp store's door.

"Victoria! How's it going?" Connor asked.

"Yeah, are you all set for the healing?" Travis added.

"I am. The question is, are you two ready?"

"Sure."

"Totally."

"Well then, let's go." I tell them, grabbing one of their arms each and pulling them towards the Big House.

"But we weren't . . ." they started.

"What? Finished picking the store's lock? You'll have plenty of time for making your father proud later." I tell them as we enter the Big House.

"Greetings, Ms. Jackson. How was your trip?" Chiron says.

"Oh, you know the usual three Fs. Fantastic, fishy, and fun. Triton, Amphitrite, and Dad say hi." I tell him.

"Ah, the second wonder child returns. Tired of the sea, Victoria?" Dionysus asks.

"Never, Dionysus. Tell Ariadne I said hi." I reply. I'm the only camper Dionysus calls by their real name, besides his sons, of course. (I saved Ariadne once.)

"I'll be using the infirmary Chiron." I call, before pulling Connor and Travis inside. "All right, let's do this." I tell them before pulling on a lab coat. "Connor, show the burn. Travis, show me that spot on you."

They look at each other with mischievous gleams in their eyes.

"Whatever you say." they laugh, clearly enjoying this.

As I prep the supplies I hear the unmistakable sound of shirts being pulled off. I turn around and am faced with two identical flat stomachs with six packs starting to form.

'Oh gods.' I think.

THIS is gonna be interesting.

"Connor, on a scale of 1-10, how bad is the burn?" I ask.

"About a 2, but if somebody touches it, it turns into a 3."

"Okay. I can work with that. Before we start, though, you're gonna need a checkup. That goes for you too, Travis." I say, before getting out my trusty stethoscope. "Deep breath." I tell Travis. After I've finished with Travis and am about to start on Connor, I hear a knock on the door. "Come in." I call. The door opens and in comes Chiron.

"Travis, the Hermes cabin needs you for weapons class." he says.

"What about Connor? I can't just leave him."

"I'm afraid you'll have to."

Travis looks torn, but before he can protest Chiron holds up his hand. "He's in good hands, Travis."

Travis looks at me and then Connor and, after we both nod in agreement, gives a defeated sigh and slowly walks out with Chiron. After I hear the door click shut I look at Connor, whose eyes are getting that gleam again. I finish his checkup and write down all the necessary stuff.

"What, no lollipop?" he asks, smiling.

"Not yet." I reply. "Now lay down. It's time we heal that burn of yours."

"Will it hurt?"

"No."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Seriously?"

"Yes."

"Truly?"

"Yes."

"And if it does?"

By now I was getting tired of this. REALLY tired of it.

"If it does I'll kiss you!"

There was a pause as what I said sunk in.

"Really?"

I gave a why-must-this-happen-to-me sigh before answering.

"Yes, but it better hurt like Tartarus and you have to shut up until I'm finished."

He broke into a huge grin.

"Deal." he said before shutting up as promised.

As I started, I noticed his awe at my powers. I smiled and did some loopdy loops in the air before washing out the burn.

A little while later, as I was finishing up, I heard Connor whimper in pain.

"What's wrong?" I ask, worry creeping into my voice.

"It hurts."

"It hurts." I repeated. "What hurts?"

"The burn. It stings."

I looked it over. 'What is he talking about? It shouldn't sting.' I think before doing a mental recon of the substances I used. And then it hits me.

"Oh no."

The realization hit me like a ton of bricks. I had used SALT WATER instead of normal water. That's how Amphitrite showed me, but I guess it was for merpeople who LIVE in salt water. And I forgot to take into perspective the fact that Connor IS NOT A MERMAN NOR IS HE A SON OF POSIEDON!

"How much does it hurt Connor? On a scale of 1-10. Be specific."

"5." he says, teeth and hands clenched.

"All right this is gonna hurt, Connor. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Then I do the unthinkable. I make a small incision near the burn. I lift the water out of the burn and begin to freeze it, on the brink of tears the entire time. Whimpering in pain, Connor tries to put on a brave face. I finish with the salt water and return it to it's container. The pain finally gone, Connor goes silent.

Then, without missing a beat, he says, "So are you gonna kiss me now or what?"

I feel such relief at those 9 stupid words it's unbelievable.Tears spilling out, I laugh and hug him like there's no tomorrow.

"I'm sorry, Connor. I'm so sorry. I forgot it was salt water and it's all my fault. I put freaking SALT WATER in your burn. I'm sorry, it was a stupid mistake. I -" and that's all I could get out because he chose that moment to cash in on my promise.