You Can't Be Too Careful Anymore

After yet another barrier had been broken between the two boys, they became even more comfortable with each other. Alex didn't want to spend a second away from Jack but he knew that spending too much time with him was unhealthy, especially considering they lived in the same house together. Their time apart was peaceful but their time together was filled with passion, especially when they were alone. Every moment made both Alex and Jack's hearts run races in their chests and both of them couldn't get enough. Everything had finally fallen into place for Alex. The only problem seemed to be telling his family. He continued to push that thought to the back of his mind like it wasn't important even though, deep down, he knew it was.

One day, Zack invited the two of them to come to a campfire. Zack was on the wrestling team and it was tradition for them to celebrate the beginning of the season. A lot of people who were friends with wrestlers came along, however, so Alex and Jack agreed.

"You're not nervous?" Jack asked as they put their coats on. It was the very beginning of winter when temperatures were just beginning to drop.

"I won't be if you're with me," Alex smiled. "Why? Are you nervous?"

"A little. This is the first social thing I'm doing in Baltimore besides going on dates with you. And aren't the wrestlers, like, mean?"

"Come on, Zack's a wrestler and he's a fucking softie. How bad could it be?"

When they arrived they were surrounded by a bunch of huge muscular dudes, the majority of them linking arms with skinny girls wearing short dresses who were probably freezing to death by the frigid air. Everyone was circled around the fire, laughing and talking about the start of the wrestling season, which Alex and Jack knew nothing about. Alex was very relieved to find Zack sitting on a log with his varsity jacket on. He pulled Jack over to him.

"Alex! Jack! What's up?" Zack smiled. Alex had never seen him this outgoing before. He was usually so shy and to himself. "This is my buddy, Chad,"

Chad, another tall, muscular wrestler with a varsity jacket that was sitting next to Zack waved at them and said "Zack's told us a lot about you guys,"

Alex wanted to throw up. What was that supposed to mean? Did they know they were dating? Even so, it wasn't a secret. Sure, Alex and Jack weren't the type of couple who sucked face in the middle of the hallway or had sex in the bathroom stall but they didn't hide their relationship either. So why was Alex so afraid?

"Hey, check it out," Jack nudged Alex on the shoulder, causing him to leave his thoughts aside. He looked over to see Maria making out with some random guy Alex hadn't seen before.

"Well, I guess her and Rian broke up..." Alex remarked.

She eventually noticed Alex's staring and stomped over in her heels which weren't exactly the proper footwear for their terrain, but Alex appreciated her ability to walk without falling flat on her face.

"Listen, Gaskarth, you better not tell Rian about this," She angrily pointed at him like a bitter old grandmother.

Alex raised an eyebrow. "Are you implying that he thinks you're still together?"

"We are still together,"

"Then why are you kissing another guy?"

"That's none of your fucking business!"

Alex held his hands up in defense. "Woah, woah, okay chill. I won't tell him,"

She swiftly turned and walked away, leaving Alex, Jack, Zack, and Chad stunned.

"You know, I was so upset when we broke up but now I don't understand what I ever saw in that bitch. I'm glad she's out of my life,"

Chad laughed. "You two are lucky. Being gay, you never have to deal with crazy bitches like that,"