Spiritual Intervention

Part Forty Six

  Mike received word his dad was living in Houston, his biological dad he'd never met before. Frenchman hitchhiked with Mike to Houston in search of his dad. There were three M. Yee's listed in the telephone directory. The first two there was no answer, then finally reaching the third M. Yee residence, Mike knocked and a young lady came to the door. Mike asked her if Max Yee lived at the residence and she informed him she is Millie Yee and she'd never heard of Max Yee. Trudgingly, Mike was through searching Houston for his dad and he and Frenchman hitchhiked back to Winnie. A week later Mike received a phone call from his cousin Debbie who lives in Shreveport, Louisiana. She related to Mike that she'd married into the Yee family and she'd discovered Max lives in Mesquite near Dallas and not in Houston as first thought. Mike and Frenchman then hitchhiked to Mesquite and arrived after dark. Mike called Max and was told to meet him at the local Huddle House restaurant. An hour later Max drove up and had his son with him. While waiting for Max to arrive, the entire Mesquite police force showed up along with many Dallas police. Mike and Frenchman were nervous as hell since the police formed a circular barricade around Max's car. Max never got out of his car and he informed an officer to tell Mike to walk through the circle and get inside his car to talk with him. Mike got inside and for a solid hour he and Max talked while Frenchman was being guarded outside of the police circle of protection. Max related he'd known Mike's mother in the past. He introduced his son and related to Mike his son's name is Michael James and further explained he'd named his son Michael James to take the place of James Michael. Rumours had circulated through the family that Max kidnapped Mike when he was four years old and Arlis caught him, took Mike away from him and threatened to kill him if he ever came around again. It all began to add up to Mike and as soon as Max exclaimed he wasn't his dad, Mike got out of the car to rejoin Frenchman and they headed toward the Interstate. Max jumped out of his car and followed Mike on foot towards the Interstate, trying to get Mike to come to his house, eat dinner and spend the night. Mike threw the birth card over his shoulder that Max had signed as his dad. Deeply hurt, tears running down his face, Mike kept walking towards the Interstate and felt something on his shoulder like a hand though no one was there. Then he heard a spiritual voice telling him, I am your father. It took Mike a few moments to realize the hurt disappeared and it was replaced with an inner strength he'd not known before. The spiritual voice was God himself, telling Mike that he is his father. Mike and Frenchman continued to the Interstate, stuck their thumbs out and never looked back. Frenchman related he felt something surreal that he couldn't explain.

  The police had held their guns on Frenchman while Mike was in Max's car. Mike recalled the police had rifles, shotguns, and pistols drawn on him as he'd walked through the police circle. He realized Max was a millionaire and he was scared Mike might've meant to do him harm so of course he'd called the police for protection before he'd arrived at the Huddle House. Everything began making sense to Mike after God spoke to him. The years of being a bastard were gone in an instant, all the frustrating years of not knowing who his father is disappeared. Six months earlier Mike had been on drugs, he'd mixed alcohol with several handfuls of heavy downers in an attempt to commit suicide. A failed marriage, not being able to see his son, not knowing who his father is, all the pressures of having to raise his siblings. He'd felt pushed to try to kill himself to stop the suffering. The night he'd attempted suicide there was spiritual intervention, for he woke the morning after with no effects at all from the drugs he'd taken. Certainly he should've been dead, no one could've lived after taking so many drugs mixed with alcohol. Mike knew he'd reached the end of his rope, it's why six months earlier he quit taking drugs and began praying in his closet to God. He'd prayed with faith there must be a God, his life had been so miserable he had no other choice. Mike hid his mental breakdowns inside of his closet and he prayed and prayed six long months without an answer from God. Mike didn't realize there was a God until God spoke to him immediately after Max denied being Mike's dad. More miracles were hovering just on the horizon and Mike would be sure to be in touch with his own spirit so that his many questions about life would be answered. Mike felt how good it is to be alive as he and Frenchman caught quick rides all the way back to Winnie. Frenchman kept saying over and over how he couldn't get over the high, spiritual presence he felt since he and Mike left Mesquite behind them.