The South

Part Two

  Something had gone wrong with Max and Virginia's relationship. Perhaps it was the fact he was Chinese and she was Cherokee Indian. Whatever the case may have been, Virginia gave James Michael to her sister Edna since Edna had lost her own son at birth and Virginia was ill prepared to take care of two sons and herself. Virginia took Jimmy Don and moved back south to Monroe, Louisiana to be around more of her family for support. It wasn't long until Edna moved south also, to Shreveport, Louisiana which is one hundred miles west of Monroe. Max stayed in Flint until eventually he moved to Dallas, Texas and opened his photography studio. He became the Dallas Cowboys team photographer and had a thriving business. James Michael turned six months old and word arrived that Edna was moving to California. Virginia rushed to Shreveport and took James Michael back, away from a distraught Edna. Living in Monroe with Jimmy Don and James Michael, Virginia met Arlis Russ whilst he was on leave from the Navy. After some time, Arlis and Virginia wed and added to their family a boy.

  Arlis Richard Russ, Jr. was born in the winter of 1958. Arlis served his time with the Navy and received an honorable discharge. Arlis had served and fought in the Korean War, suffering many bullet wounds and receiving a Purple Heart. Arlis had the strength of a bull and a very strong will to live. Winter of 1960 he and Virginia had another boy, they named him Ronald Allen Russ. With their family growing, Arlis landed a job as a bodyman with a major dealership and life was comfortable. His entire family was into the car business, mostly body work and painting. Nitro, stock car, and four wheel drive racing was part of the Russ's lifestyle, not to mention big game hunting. Summer of 1962 another boy was born, Thomas Ray Russ.

  All the boys were a bill of health except for James Michael. He was six years old now and had remained small whilst his brothers growth surpassed his. Virginia had taken James Michael to many heart specialists, only to be told they had no idea what was wrong with him. His legs hurt and he was short of breath as he tried to keep up with the other children at school. During lunch a large sixth grader was running, swinging his metal lunchbox wildly. James Michael being such a small first grader, wasn't able to duck in time and was hit in the head by the boy's lunchbox. James Michael woke up in the nurse's infirmary after being knocked out cold. The nurse completed a thorough check-up on him. Virginia was called and when she went to pick him up, it was then the nurse told her James Michael had a serious heart murmur and should see a heart specialist.