Early Survival

Part Five

  The weekend passed quickly, Monday morning Virginia drove James Michael to Dallas, Texas to the Children's Heart Hospital in hopes there was something that could be done to improve his declining health. He was a weak child, not strong and full of energy like the rest of his brothers. He stayed dizzy simply from watching his brothers run around with all the energy of normal children. He would sit alone on the end of the couch, trying to stay out of the way of his rambunctious brothers. Jimmy, Ricky, and Ronny would run by and hit him since they'd no idea how deteriorated his health had become. Arriving at the Children's Heart Hospital, Virginia had James Michael admitted to a room where she was allowed to stay also. A two week stay was arranged so that a comprehensive study of James Michael's condition could be accomplished. Ekg's, x-rays, and blood tests left him feeling somewhat abused. Shots were given every morning and afternoon until he thought he'd begin screaming. The only time he felt relaxed was when he was allowed to go to the children's recreational room where there were other children to play with and every toy imagineable was available. Fear would grab him inside when he'd see the nurse coming to get him. He knew it was time for more shots and testing. Two weeks went by, upon leaving to return home, the doctor prescribed 800,000 units per penicillin for James Michael to take every day. The doctor asked him if he'd prefer shots or pills and of course he chose pills. They were large pills, so large it seemed anyone would choke on them. He took them with water yet even the water couldn't prevent some choking, still he was very happy to not have to receive shots. Virginia and James Michael sat in the doctor's office, waiting for the doctor to set-up the x-rays and to discuss his condition. He said James Michael has an enlarged heart, three times larger on the right side than on the left and that there is a hole in his heart that is leaking. One of his heart valves is closed and he should be watched after at all times, if there is any change in his condition to bring him back to the hospital immediately. The doctor also stated James Michael has an irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, and more than likely a permanent heart murmur he'll have to live with his entire life. The penicillin is to keep infection down were it to occur, and to take him out of physical education class. He stated to allow James Michael to play with other children at his own speed and hopefully his health will improve over time, and to bring him in for appointed check-ups to keep a record on his precarious health. Virginia and James Michael were happy to finally leave the hospital for the long drive home.

  Upon arriving home the concern was on everyone's faces, looks of amazement as if the rest of the family didn't know if James Michael would be able to return home. All of a sudden his brothers  started treating him with kid gloves, bringing him water, soda, and snacks. It was quite a change for him to not be beat up anymore. The next day Arlis took off of work to take James Michael shopping for a coat to keep him warm due to his low blood pressure which made him feel cold all the time. Leaving the store Arlis noticed James Michael was eyeing a leather hat lined with fur that pulled down over the ears. Trying the hat on he was all smiles, Arlis purchased the hat with a hundred dollar bill and James Michael always called it his hundred dollar hat. When his brothers saw the hat they became very jealous and resumed beating up on him when no one was watching. James Michael had to learn to fight back with what strength he had in fear his brothers would kill him from their continued abuse, always they'd tell him they'd beat him more if he ever told on them. In self defense James Michael learned to hit back hard and fast or he knew he'd not survive.