Tomball, Texas

Part Thirty Seven

  The first thing Mike noticed when he arrived home was his motorcycle was missing from where he'd parked it when he'd left for the summer. He looked everywhere and it was nowhere to be found. He called his mother at the bar to ask if she knew what had happened to it and she related to him that his Uncle Roy came by and took not only his motorcycle but also his .22 rifle. Mike was pretty upset and called Arlis to see if he knew anything about his brother taking his bike and rifle. Arlis seemed to be surprised and related Roy must've stolen his things. Then Mike asked him if he'd help get his bike and rifle back and he said he would. Mike called Roy and asked why he'd take his things and Roy stated that Arlis had sold the bike and rifle to him. Telling Arlis what Roy had said, Arlis denied selling the bike and rifle to Roy and he acted angry about it. Over time Mike realized he'd never get his bike and rifle back and simply moved on, trying to forget the entire matter.

  Out of the blue Jimmy Harmon, Sr. called to speak with Jimmy Don and Mike. The call was a huge surprise since neither had ever spoken with or seen their dad before. Needless to say, Jimmy Don and Mike both were excited to hear from him after all the years of silence. Jimmy Sr. asked if it would be okay to come and visit and perhaps take them home with him for a couple of weeks. Without hesitation they both said yes for they didn't wish to pass up perhaps their only chance to get to know their dad. A week before Christmas he called to say he was on his way to pick them up and Jimmy Don and Mike packed enough clothes for their upcoming two week stay. It was only a half day's drive from Tomball, Texas to West Monroe, La. and Jimmy Don and Mike waited and waited. Dark fell and still no sign or word from Jimmy Sr. Jimmy Don called and called and never received an answer so he and Mike went to bed but neither was able to go to sleep. The telephone rang in the wee morning hours and it was Jimmy Sr's wife, Linda calling. She informed Jimmy Don that Jimmy Sr. had an apparent heart attack on the way and that they had to turn around and go back home. She related Jimmy Sr. had a couple of cups of coffee, had a heart attack and died on the way to pick Jimmy Don and Mike up. Jimmy Don related to her that he and Mike would be coming to his funeral and she ststed they were more than welcome to stay at her house. The next day Jimmy Don and Mike took the Continental Greyhound bus to Houston and were picked up by one of Arlis's brothers, Charles who lived in the area. They stayed the night with Uncle Charles and Aunt Evelyn and Charles drove them to Tomball the next morning to stay at Linda's home for the funeral. She was kind when Jimmy Don and Mike arrived and as soon as Uncle Charles and Aunt Evelyn drove away, she took on an entirely different mood. She was very rude whilst she showed them where they could sleep for the next few days. Jimmy Don and Mike spoke in secrecy about leaving and Jimmy Don related sine he and Mike were already there they may as well stay until after the funeral. Mike agreed with him though both felt unwelcome even though she'd assured them they were welcome before the made the long trip.

  Jimmy Don and Mike met their half brother, James Borden Harmon and Mike thought it was pretty odd that his own first name is James, he has a brother named Jimmy, and now a half brother named James. Mike scratched his head about the strange mystery and resolved to thinking about it later. The night before the funeral, James Borden took two large gift wrapped packages from under the Christmas tree and handed one each to Jimmy Don and Mike. He told them it was cash money that he'd seen their dad wrap and put under the tree. Jimmy Don and Mike both pondered the reason must be because they'd not ever seen their dad and he must've felt guilty for not sending child support all the years apart. Before they could open the gifts, Linda rushed in and snatched the packages from them, stating she'd need the cash. It was an odd feeling to Jimmy Don and Mike though of course they both understood. Heading out the door with Linda and James Borden to go to the wake, everyone had tears streaming down their faces. Arriving at the funeral home, Linda and James Borden were being consoled by relatives Jimmy Don and Mike had never before met. Jimmy Don and Mike walked slowly towards the casket to pay their respects and to view what their dad looked like since they'd only seen pictures of him years earlier. Standing there crying, they both tried to comfort one another. Both knowing they'd only seen their dad alive when they were babies. Mike related to Jimmy Don the strong resemblance he and Jimmy Sr. shared and the fact that Mike held no resemblance at all. All of a sudden Linda quickly walked up to the casket and standing on one side of it. She tore into Mike, asking him what in the hell was he doing there. Mike was in shock and had no idea why she'd ask him such a question. Silent he looked into her eyes, waiting for an explanation and she blurted out to Mike that he's not Jimmy Sr's son. Stunned and hurt, standing there with tears pouring and looking into the face of whom he'd thought was his dad, Mike took one last look and walked away to a room where no one was at to try to gather his thoughts. A few minutes later Jimmy Don found him and told Mike that he is also Jimmy Sr's son, yet somehow Mike knew that he wasn't. Jimmy Don related to Mike that he suspected Linda may have poisoned  his dad's coffee since he'd overheard them arguing on the phone just before they'd left Texas to come to Louisiana. He also stated to Mike it would've been easy for her to obtain the drugs to do it with because she was a nurse, though it was never looked into.