It All Started Here

Where should I begin? How about where it all started.

I live in Green Lake, a small communtiy in the middle of the woods with a population of about 800 people. Everyone knows everyone, what they do, where they go. I bet some of the people could tell you the last time their neighbors cut their grass.

A small two story house is where I live with my dad, just dad and I. It's been that way since I was 7 years old when my mom died in a car crash. It was devastating, especially for my dad.

My dad drank a lot after, and I remember Mrs. Tate had me over for a month long sleepover. That's when I became best friends with Carter Tate.

I know now that Mrs. Tate was just trying to help my dad stop drinking, but that month was really hard for me. Carter was always there though. He's been my best friend ever since.

Morning:

"Time to get up monkey!" My dad called to wake me up. I groan and roll over to look at the time. 7:43 and Carter would be here in almost 15 minutes.

I threw my blankets back and got out of bed. What to wear, my black jeans with one my dads blue and grey flannel. I went to go into my closet to find the clothing, but then I remembered I was to practice a spell I found last night.

I focused all my energy into moving the jeans out of my closet. When nothing happened I stuck my hand out and repeated the words. I heard a rustling and then my jeans slowly floated towards me. To close to the ground, I tried to bring it up but i wouldn't budge, so I just bent down to pick them up.

I slipped them on and ran to my dads room to pick up one of his shirts. "Hurry up!" Dad called.

I slipped my hair into a knot on the top o my hair and ran downstairs.

"Breakfast," he called as I did my makeup in the reflection of the toaster.

"Not hungry,"

"Not good enough," he said pushing a muffin towards me.

I made a big deal of grabbing the muffin and he just laughed. "Why are you so obsessed with my shirts?" he asked with a muffin in his mouth.

"Don't talk with food in your mouth!" I scolded.

"Beep Beep!"

"Hurry monkey your ride is here!" Dad said looking out the front window.

With no time to brush my teeth I grabbed some mouth wash and spit into the kitchen sink. The taste of mint making me gag.

I picked up my bag and binder and headed to the front door. "Bye, try to have a good day." Dad said.

I made a face and went out towards Carter's beat up truck. I slipped into the passenger seat closing the door behind me.

"Hey," He said backing out of the driveway.

"Oh I love this song!" I said turning up his radio, I belted out Royals by Lorde. Carter joined in halfway through, both of us laughing at his terrible singing.

He parked close to the end of the lot. We walked into the school and just like usual, we were ignored except for Carter's friends who were in a very competitive game of mario carts on their DS. They were into some retro thing and dug out the old ones from their childhoods. Like the really old ones with no touch screens or camras.

"Hey T!" Jane said looking up from Fred's DS. She was one of my closest female friends. 'T' was my nickname I'd earned in 1st grade because people never got my name right. Tempest, who names their kid that.