Fallen Ceilings and The New Kid

"Are you okay?" Carter asked when I got into his truck Tuesday morning. He'd been sick Monday so we haven't went through that awkward how was the dance conversation yet.

"Yea? Why wouldn't I be?"

"You've been distant, I called you on the weekend and you didn't pick up," Carter said without taking his eyes off the road.

I hae been distant. With all the training and Jagger I'd been neglecting Carter. "Why don't we do something tonight?" I asked.

"They're showing Dawn of The Dead at the Drive in," Carter said with a hint of excitement in his voice.

"Sure," I said.

When we walked into the school I saw Jane crouched beside Fred, it was odd to see Fred without some geeky device in his hands. They looked to be in a serious conversation, so I was going to let them be when Jane stood up, "T, let's go to class."

Jane dragged me until we were out of sight, "What was that about?" I ask.

"I tried to phone you on the weekend but you didn't answer, so I'll tell you now, Fred ditched me at the dance." She said with tears swimming in her eyes. "He said that I was getting to clingy when all I did was ask him to dance,"

"It's okay," I said giving her a bear hug.

I typically didn't like reading my friends, especially since it was their own personal thoughts, but this time I couldn't stop it.

"Tempest should have come over and eaten ice cream with, she's the worst. What else could she have been doing?"

We started to walk again and I couldn't help the anger that was boiling inside of me. If she knew what I spent my weekend doing she'd understand. She couldn't just assume I'd been ignoring her. I heard the sound of metal creaking and time seemed to slow down. I looked up and saw the light that had been on the ceiling was now crashing down right over top of Jane. A blur ran past me and into Jane just before the light hit Jane.

Time unfroze and I could see Jane looking at the light in horror. The kid that had pushed her ot of the way - I didn't recognize him at all. He had black hair and dark skin, and how did he move so fast?

He tried to help Jane stand up but she was in shock. That light would have killed her, how could it have become loose. "Are you her friend?" The mystery boy asked me.

"Yea," I said coming to Jane's side.

"Let's take her to the nurse," There was a big crowd around us with the principal telling kids to keep walking.

We walked into ms. Shannon's office, she turned and saw Jane, then came to help her onto the bed. "What happened?" Ms. S asked.

"A light from the ceiling fell and almost crushed her," Mystery boy said.

"Oh no! Well you kids get to class, she doesn't need an audeince." Ms. S basically shoved us out the door.

When we got into the hall he said, "I'm Rain, I'm new around here,"

"Tempest," I shook his hand. He was cute actaully, in a natural kind of way. He wasn't wearing brand name clothes, and I'm pretty sure the holes in his jeans weren't there when he bought them.

"So... uh... I don't have many friends here, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out after school," Rain awkwardly scratched his head.

I was going to the movies with Carter today. Crap. And probably training a little.

"I'm sorry but I'm busy after school today," I said feeling bad. He didn't have friends and he was reaching out.

"It's fine, I'll give you my number if you change your mind," He said.

We exchanged numbers and went to class. There was something different yet familiar about Rain, I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

End of Chapter

Attention: Well this isn't very attention worthy but I've started a new book called Unspoken love. It's just kind of a short 7 or 8 chapter love story. But I gotta say that it's actaully pretty good, and a unique idea. So try it vote for it comment, and all that fun stuff.