Chap 2 "Similar Image"

Hailee's POV
I woke up and Nick was asleep in the chair next to my bed. "Nick," I stated, but my voice came out hoarse and sore. "Nick." He shifted in his seat and looked at me. I smiled. "Hey."
"Hey," Nick put the laptop and book aside. "Here." He handed me a cup of water. I took a drink. "Better?" I nodded. "Hailee, can you tell me what happened?"
"I knew someone was following me," I sighed as Nick looked at me. "It was my stalker, Nick. He broke into our home and he hit me in the back of the head with something." He grabbed my hand. "I slowed my heart rate just enough to make it look like he had killed me. I heard him leave after that. Nick, I can't go back to our house. Not after I've been assaulted there."
"Okay, okay," Nick nodded. "I'll find another place to live but we have to find a place for you to lay your head when you get out of here."
"Anywhere but our home," I sighed. "We have to find a new home."
"And we will," Nick assured me. "But after you're released, you're under surveillance and will be staying with me at the precinct. We have a break room you can sleep in and you can have my bunk."
"Okay," I nodded.
"Just write me a list of what you need at the house and I'll go grab them," Nick sighed. "Unless, when you're released, we can go there, you pack a bag, and we go to the precinct."
"Yeah, I think I'll pick out my clothes because you can't tell maternity from daily," I joked.
"You seem to be okay," Nick smiled. The doctor walked in. "Hey doc."
"And you are?" the doctor asked.
"NYPD SVU Detective Nick Amaro," Nick shook his hand.
"I didn't realize SVU had an assault case," the doctor replied.
"It's alright, Dr. Rodriguez," I replied. "He used the wrong title. He's on a job right now but he's my husband."
"Sorry about that," Nick nodded. "It's a habit."
"It's not a problem," Dr. Rodriguez. "Mrs. Amaro, all you have is a mild concussion and bruising to your head. It'll take time to heal so I'll prescribe you some pain medication to help with swelling and the pain." I nodded. "Other than that, you're free to go."
"Wait, doctor," Nick and I stopped him.
"There's one little problem," Nick stated. "She's pregnant." Dr. Rodriguez looked at his charts. "She's four months along, doc. You can't miss that."
"Yes, you are," Dr. Rodriguez nodded. "You're absolutely right. Your baby is perfectly fine. She's perfectly healthy and you have nothing to worry about."
"Thank you," I sighed as the doctor left. Nick closed his laptop and packed up his bags. He helped me out of the bed. "Nick, I'm not an invalid. I can walk on my own two feet." We walked out to the waiting room where my parents were. "Mom, Dad."
"Hey sweetie," Mom hugged me. "I'm glad you're alright."
"What is it that you were needing to tell us?" Dad asked.
"I'm pregnant," I nodded. "We're going to have a baby girl in five months."
"Well, congratulations, honey," Mom smiled. "We're very happy for you."
"I'm sorry dinner was a bust," I replied. "Look, when we're back on our feet, I'll call you and we can schedule another. Does that sound good?" My parents nodded. "Alright, I'll see you guys later. We gotta go." We got into Nick's car and he drove us to the house. I packed two bags and we went to the precinct. "This looks cozy."
"You can sit here at my desk," Nick nodded. "I'll put your bags in the break room." He emptied his bag onto his desk. He took my bags to the break room. I picked up the book from his desk as he walked out. "Yeah, that's some light reading."
"Why are you reading this?" I asked.
"It's part of my assignment," Nick nodded. "I'm glad I finished it though. It's the next day and I spent all night reading it."
"What did you think?" I asked.
"I hate it," Nick nodded. Night fell. Nick and I slept in the station break room. The next morning, we woke up and he was already at work. I showered and got ready and walked out to the precinct. Liv let me listen in on the case. "Hailee, you good?"
"I think I can handle listening to this case," I smiled. "I do have my bachlor's in criminal justice. So, Jocelyn was raped again last night in an elevator."
We watched the security footage. "It's pretty brazen," Amanda replied. "He must've known that there were security cameras."
"He also probably knows it's act nine of the book, elevator sex," Nick stated. We looked at him. "I had the chance to read the masterpiece when I was waiting for Hailee to wake up."
"It doesn't look like she's enjoying it," Munch replied.
"Doesn't look like she's resisting either," Finn stated.
"It's called tonic immobility," I looked at him. "She was traumatized from the night before. He goes after her again. Everybody knows fight or flight. But here is a third response, and that's you freeze."
"Good luck trying to sell that to a jury," Finn nodded.
"Is she ready to press charges?" I asked.
"We're ready to go to the DA," Liv looked at me.
"Well, which one?" Munch asked. "They've all lawyered up since Delia Wilson named names."
"Rafael Barba," I shrugged.
"He's the guy that put away two Johns for raping a prostitute," Amanda stated.
"You have two high profiled people on the case," I replied. "He's perfect. He requested a lateral from Brooklyn to Manhattan. Looks like it was one just in time too for a case like this." They looked at me. "You go and talk to this guy and tell me how it goes."
"Hailee, if you are considering a career, you should apply here," Liv nodded. "We'll accept you in a heartbeat."
"That'll  be great since everyone else is turning me down because I'm pregnant," I nodded.
"Great, you got the job," Liv nodded. Throughout the day, the squad was interviewed by Rafael but me. Only because he knew me and my parents. My parents and him were friends. We were in the squad room with Rafael. Amanda looked like she found something. "Amanda, what do you have?"
"He decided he was gonna leak his opening monologue for tonight's broadcast, and it's all over the internet," Amanda sighed as she turned on the TV. We gathered around. "Check this out."
"You hear these stories. Powerful men being accused of doing something stupid. Well, now I'm one of those guys," Cain sighed. "The media he said, she said circus is coming to town, and I am about to be thrown into the ring of fire. I'm about to be accused of rape by author Jocelyn Paley." I crossed my arms. "Now, before I'm charged, I just want to make one thing perfectly clear. Unlike a certain former president, I did have sex with that woman. Now, I know it, and she damn well knows it too."
"He just objectified her," I stated as Amanda turned off the TV.
"Smart move," Nick sighed. "Got in front of it."
"Right out of Letterman's playbook," Amanda nodded.
"That's not fair," Munch replied. "Letterman didn't rape anyone."
"Just let him keep running his mouth," Finn nodded. "Like the counselor says, we'll take our time, but we'll get him."
"And in the meantime?" Liv asked. "He can just use his show as a bully pulpit?"
"Cain just forced our hand," Rafael nodded. "Hailee, you wanna do the honors?'
"We have to strike back," I smiled. "I would love to do this, but I'm four months along. So, I'll interrogate, do research, and everything else, but I won't step into the field until after I have the baby." I looked at the squad. "Finn and Munch, bring him in."
"Our pleasure," Finn replied as they left.
"We have to do this," I sighed. Cain was arraigned. Nick, Finn, and Munch had to go to Maryland University. I stayed at the precinct and did research on social media when he left that night. The next night came and that's when the guys got back. "You guys are back. Where's Nick?"
"He's still in Maryland," Munch replied.
"Great," I sighed. "He's probably figured something out and he's getting more information." I looked at the squad. "He's like that and stubborn. But he'll get the work done." I had an e-mail from in from Nick. "She didn't write the book, guys. It was her adviser's." The next day was court day. I went to the court room and watched the trail. After court and walked out and saw Nick with a woman. I walked up to them. "I take it that your Professor Dobson."
"Where are we?" Nick asked.
"Recess, for now," I sighed. We got back into court and watched the rest of the trial. We adjourned for now. We had another day at court and I watched the whole thing streamed live in the conference room at the precinct. "This is just wrong." I saw Cain pull the belt around Rafael's neck. "What the hell is he thinking?" He got the belt off his neck. "Thank God you're okay, Rafael." I sighed as I watched the verdict. Cain was found guilty. "I think Jocelyn is happy and relived." I grabbed my phone and walked to the courthouse. I met Liv, Amanda, Nick, and Jocelyn. "How do you feel?"
"Great," Jocelyn nodded.
"Congratulations, counselor," I smiled as Rafael met up with us.
"No need to be professional with me, Hailee," Rafael gave me a side hug. "I'm just glad that this is all over." I nodded. "Good jury though. They looked past Cain's image, saw him for who he really is."
"You told me I wouldn't like you when this was over," Jocelyn stated. "You were right. What do I do now? My reputation's ruined."
"The thing about America, this country loves a comeback," Rafael nodded and left.
"What does he mean by that?" Jocelyn asked.
"Take it from someone who's used to being in front of a camera," Liv looked at me.
"I wasn't in the same boat as you are. But you'll learn to live a normal life and maybe write something that isn't like this book," I suggested. "I'm a celebrity, meaning photo shoots, movie scripts, commercials, models, and the list goes on. I'm married to a detective and I'm pregnant." I looked at her. "I went underground. Rafael says America loves a comeback. I could actually do a movie after I have my child but I'm not all about that life anymore. I might reconsider the possibilities after I have the baby, but for now, I'm sticking with being a detective." Jocelyn faced the press. Nick put his arm around me. "I think I did alright for a run on my first case."