Chap 17 "Zara's Last Performance"

Nick's POV
Hailee brought Zara to see me before her performance. "Are you going to do good tonight?" I asked.
"Yes," Zara smiled. "For you, Daddy."
"I'm going to watch you on TV, okay?" I nodded.
"Okay, Daddy," Zara smiled.
"Zara, time to go," Hailee replied. Zara got off the bed. "I'll see you tonight."
"Okay," I nodded. We kissed and Hailee left with Zara. Amanda showed up. "Where's the rest of the squad?"
"They got a case," Amanda sighed. "Liv sent me here to watch the show with you."
"Okay," I nodded. I turned on the TV and Zara was on the stage. "Oh, she's about to perform."
"What are you going to be performing today, Zara?" Lisa asked.
"Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers," Zara nodded.
"Show us what you got," Kenson nodded.
The music started playing. "Crashing, hit a wall. Right now I need a miracle," Zara sang. "Hurry up now, I need a miracle. Stranded, reaching out. I call your name but you're not around. I say your name but you're not around." Zara smiled and started dancing. "I need you, I need you, I need you right now. Yeah, I need you right now. So don't let me, don't let me, don't let me down." I smiled. "I think I'm losing my mind now. It's in my head. Darling, I hope that you'll be here when I need you the most." I looked at Amanda and she was shocked. "So don't let me, don't let me, don't let me down. D-Don't let me down."
Zara kept dancing without singing the pro-chorus. "Did you guys get her a professional vocal coach?" Amanda asked. "She has some serious vocals on her."
"Hailee's the one who coaches Zara," I replied. "But she's a natural. Didn't really need much practice."
"Running out of time. I really thought you were on my side. But now there's nobody by my side," Zara sang as she looked at the camera. "I need you, I need you, I need you right now. Yeah, I need you right now. So don't let me, don't let me, don't let me down. I think I'm losing my mind now. It's in my head. Darling, I hope that you'll be here when I need you the most." Zara started smiling again. "So don't let me, don't let me, don't let me down. D-Don't let me down."
Zara ended with a pose. "Can I say you have one amazing daughter?" Amanda asked.
"We've been told," I nodded as Zara got put of pose and smiled. "I need to get out of this bed."
"Tomorrow," Amanda nodded.
"Wow, Zara," Lisa smiled. "So, I've heard you chose the song and half of the dance you made on your own. Correct?"
"Yes," Zara replied.
"Can we get Zara's mother out here along with the other contestant and her coach?" Lisa asked.
Hailee joined Zara onstage. "We've come to a conclusion," Kenson replied as the other contestant got onstage with her coach. "Lilith and Zara, we honestly can't choose a winner."
"You two worked very hard to get where you are now but it's hard to choose," Luke sighed. "We give you one more chance. One more song to wow us. Lilith, you're first."
"They can't do that to those kids," I replied. "Zara only has one more song left. If she wins, how is she going to perform on the stage for one last time?"
"It's okay," Amanda nodded. "I'm sure Hailee has something figured out."
"I hope so," I sighed. "She usually does." It was Zara's turn and she walked to the center of the stage as they put a mic stand in front of where she was standing. "She's dressed in white."

"Probably for a very good reason," Amanda replied

"Probably for a very good reason," Amanda replied. "Just listen."
"Zara, what did you prepare for your second song?" Lisa asked.
"This I Believe by Hillsong Worship," Zara replied.
"Why would you choose a Christian song?" Luke asked.
"I'm a Christian. I know I'm young to choose a religion but I know where my heart lies. I was baptized," Zara replied. "I'm not here to preach about my religion or show off that I'm proud that I am a Christian." I was confused by Zara right about now. "About a week ago, my daddy got hurt. Mommy says he got shot and she took me to visit him every day. He's still in the hospital." Lisa nodded. "I was told his bullet hit Daddy in the liver and one on his knee. I pray every night that be recovers but I know he won't be the same. He loves his job and with his knee --- that's why I am praying for his knee. And that he recovers." Zara sighed. "So I ask that you keep my dad in your prayers as I sing this song. Daddy, I know you're watching out there. This song goes out to you."
"Okay," Lisa nodded. "Let's hear you out."
The music started and Zara stood in front of the microphone. "Our Father everlasting. The all creating One. God Almighty," Zara sang. "Through Your Holy Spirit, conceiving Christ the Son. Jesus our Savior." She close her eyes and sang her heart out. "I believe in God our Father. I believe in Christ the Son. I believe in the Holy Spirit. Our God is three in one. I believe in the resurrection that we will rise again. For I believe in the name of Jesus." Zara opened her eyes and looked at the audience before her. She smiled. "Our Judge and our Defender, suffered and crucified. Forgiveness is in You." She looked straight into the camera. Her eyes were glossy, showing signs of sadness but she was trying to be strong. "Descended into darkness, You rose in glorious life. Forever seated high." I smiled, as I knew that Zara was old enough to know what was going on in life. She's smart just like Hailee is. "I believe in God our Father. I believe in Christ the Son. I believe in the Holy Spirit. Our God is three in one. I believe in the resurrection that we will rise again. For I believe in the name of Jesus."
"Nick, you didn't not say that your daughter knew what it meant to be a Christian," Amanda replied as she sat down.
"I didn't know it myself," I replied as I watched Zara on the television. "But I'm glad she does. She is standing firm on her belief."
"I believe in You. I believe You rose again. I believe that Jesus Christ is Lord," Zara sang with her eyes closed. She gripped tightly to the microphone. "I believe in God our Father. I believe in Christ the Son. I believe in the Holy Spirit. Our God is three in one." She let go of the microphone as she opened her eyes. "I believe in the resurrection that we will rise again. For I believe in the name of Jesus."
"I did not know that my daughter felt this strong in being a Christian," I sighed. "I wanted her to be Catholic."
"I can tell there's more to that sentence," Amanda looked at me.
"But Hailee was a baptist Christian," I looked at Amanda. "Because of Hailee, my religion changed from Catholic to a baptist Christian. I was baptized as well." I sighed. "As soon as Zara was born, we had her baptized but I didn't think Zara would know that her belief and heart would be this strong with our Lord and Savior."
"I believe in life eternal. I believe in the virgin birth. I believe in the saints' communion and in Your holy Church," Zara started off soft. "I believe in the resurrection when Jesus comes again. For I believe, in the name of Jesus." Zara let a tear go. "I believe in God our Father. I believe in Christ the Son. I believe in the Holy Spirit. Our God is three in one. I believe in the resurrection that we will rise again. For I believe in the name of Jesus!"
The song faded out as I wiped the two tears I let slip. "Thank you, Zara," I smiled.
"Nick, are you alright?" Amanda looked at me. "You're crying."
"Sorry, that just touched me," I nodded.
"Wow, Zara," Lisa smiled as she wiped her tears. "That song brought me to tears. The emotions you had in the song just blew me away. Wow."
"Let's also get Lilith out here," Luke nodded. Lilith walked on stage with her coach. "Okay. Lilith, you sang Hit The Light by Selena Gomez. What made you choose that song?"
"It was a song I actually wanted to audition with but it was a bit to high in the levels for me so it was going to take a little bit of time to learn," Lilith replied. "That's why I decided to go with the song now as my second shot."
"Well, that was a great choice," Kenson replied. "The judges have decided that Zara is the winner." Lilith got off stage with her coach. "Closing of the show, what song will you be singing to us?"
"This is where Hailee comes in," I sighed. "I hope she knows what song is Zara's strong suit."