Chap 13 "Two Favorites"

Nick's POV
"Hailee, you got Zara this far," I smiled. "You got this, babe. You got this."
"Here we are on round three," Kenson stated. "With only four contestants left, there are only two rounds after this." Hailee fixed Zara's hair. "You've seen three of the contestants. Here's Zara Amaro singing Closer by The Chainsmokers."
"Okay," Zara walked out onto the stage.
"She looks comfortable out there," Hailee sighed. "I'm glad she got a chance to live her dream."
"If she wins this, she's going to be signed onto the label," I nodded. "Our daughter is making a name for herself."
"Zara, sweetheart, you look beautiful," Lisa smiled.
"Thank you," Zara replied. "Mommy helped me with it."
"Well, you are beautiful," Lisa nodded. "Do you think you're going to win?"
"I'm just here to take a chance on my dream," Zara nodded. "Mommy and Daddy wants me to go for my dream. I asked them to help me so here I am on American Diva."
"I'm sure your parents just want the best for you," Luke nodded. "Alright, let's watch you sing the song we assigned to you."
The music started and Zara was smiling. "Well, she definitely is going to own the stage," I smiled.
"That's our daughter," Hailee smiled.
"Hey, I was doing just fine before I met you. I drink too much and that's an issue but I'm okay," Zara shrugged. "Hey, you tell your friends it was nice to meet them. But I hope I never see them again." She walked a little bit closer to the judges, while she walked to the beat of the song. "I know it breaks your heart. Moved to the city in a broke down car, and four years, no calls. Now you're looking pretty in a hotel bar. And I can't stop. No, I can't stop." She walked back to her original place. "So, baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover that I know you can't afford. Bite that tattoo on your shoulder, pull the sheets right off the corner of the mattress that you stole from your roommate back in Boulder. We ain't ever getting older." Zara started dancing. "We ain't ever getting older." I smiled. "We ain't ever getting older."
"Did you teach her that dance?" I asked.
"We thought the judges should see something different," Hailee nodded. "So, I can up with a little dance."
"Well, kill it out there, Hailee," I smiled. "It's almost your turn."
"You look as good as the day I met you," Hailee sang. She smiled as she walked onto the stage. The crowd cheered and clapped as they were happy to see her in an environment that they're used to seeing her in. "I forget just why I left you, I was insane." She grabbed Zara's hand and spun Zara around. "Stay and play that Blink-182 song that we beat to death in Tuscon, okay." Zara and her started doing a dance that they came up with together. "I know it breaks your heart, moved to the city in a broke down car, and four years, no call. Now I'm looking pretty in a hotel bar. And I can't stop." Hailee spun herself around. "No, I can't stop."
"So, baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover that I know you can't afford," Hailee and Zara sang. They walked to opposite sides of the stage and sang to the audience. "Bite that tattoo on your shoulder. Pull the sheets right off the corner ff the mattress that you stole from your roommate back in Boulder." Hailee was happy as she could be. "We ain't ever getting older." They started doing their dance. "We ain't ever getting older." They were winning the crowd. "We ain't ever getting older."
The song faded out as they posed on the last dropped beat. "My girls are just amazing," I crossed my arms and smiled.
"Wow," Luke smiled. Hailee smiled as her and Zara met Center Stage. "So, Hailee, how do you like being on a stage just singing your heart out?"
"Luke, honestly, I haven't been on the stage and performed ever since my character, Alicia, in Out Voiced," Hailee replied. "I love my fans. Just acting and dancing is something I do. Also, now, I'm taking on signing."
"Triple threat," Kenson nodded. "Well, we would like to inform you that your daughter is moving on the the next round!"
"Really?" Zara asked.
"Yes, sweetheart," Lisa nodded. "This next round is going to be a challenge though. You have to find the celebrity we're going to give you. The last person to find celebrity it's automatically cut from American Diva." I nodded. "You have to sing a song of theirs with them. And Mom, you can't help Zara find this celebrity because we know you have your ties." Hailee nodded. "Zara, the celebrity you got is Drew Ryan Scott."
"The multi-platinum songwriter, singer?" Hailee asked. "That's one of my good friends."
"He knows Zara will be looking for him," Lisa smiled. "Good luck."
"Thank you," Zara smiled. They got off the stage. "So, how am I going to find Drew?"
"Well, they said Mommy can't help you," Hailee sighed. "But they didn't say anything about Daddy."
"What can Daddy do?" Zara asked.
"Zara, I'm a cop," I smiled. "We are known to track people down." Oliver walked up to us. "Hey."
"So, I hear my niece is a star," Oliver smiled. Zara nodded. "Growing up just like her Mommy."
"Well, it's in the Monroe blood to make a name for ourselves just like you did, Mr. Queen," Hailee smiled. "It shouldn't be something new."
"So, they caught the guy," I replied. "Earlier this afternoon, he tried to rape the woman again."
"Yeah, well, at least we don't have to worry about it," Hailee smiled. "Now, let's get you home and see if we can find Drew tomorrow." We went home and got a goodnight sleep. We got up and dressed. We went to walk around Central Park with Zara. "I'm not going to call or text him because he won't answer. So, how are we going to find somebody who is going to be hard to find in a large city?"
"Daddy, can I get an ice cream?" Zara asked.
"Lemon ice, small," Hailee replied.
"But bring me the change, huh?" I smiled as I handed her the five dollar bill from my pocket.
Zara ran to the ice cream stand. "She misses you," Hailee replied.
"I miss her too," I sighed. "You said you wanted to talk?"
"Yeah, I got a job offer in LA," Hailee looked at me.
"LA?" I asked. "You hate LA. That's why you pursued entertainment here in New York."
"It's in corporate communications for Northrop," Hailee replied. "It pays a little less than both of us combined."
"You're considering taking Zara across the country from me?" I asked.
"No, I was thinking you'd come along," Hailee looked at me. "I don't want you out of our lives at all, Nick. It could be a fresh start. There are a lot of options for a former New York detective out there." I sighed as I was thinking about the idea. "I was thinking we could take it one step at a time."
"It's three thousand miles away," I replied. "That's not one step. I don't even know what to think." Zara walked back to us and gave me the change. "So, I got something on your celebrity."
"And that is?" Zara asked.
"He's in town for a concert this afternoon," I replied as I looked at my phone.
"That's why he's in New York," Hailee replied. "He's on tour right now with his band. What time is the concert?"
"Four," I nodded.
Hailee looked at her watch. "They should be doing a sound check right about now," Hailee smiled. "Let's go." We got into the car and I drove us to the venue. We walked inside after I showed them my NYPD badge. They were on the stage doing a sound check like Hailee had said. "Zara, go to the guy with the spikey blonde hair and tell him he's your celebrity."
"That's a good idea?" I asked.
"How else are you to get his attention?" Hailee asked.
"You can try his name," I shrugged. "That's one way to get his attention."
"Well, Drew and I don't have that proper way to say hi to each other," Hailee looked at me. "Just like us. Me and you just start a conversation off without introductions."
"That's because we're married, Hailee," I stated. "You and Drew are what? Best friends? There's gotta be a better way than to just go up to him and say that him and Zara are working together." Hailee just looked at me. "But I get it. I wasn't raised in front of the cameras like you were. Go and tell Drew, Zara. We don't want you to be disqualified."