Chapter 21: Stay Away

The strong smell of rusty metal and the sound of roaring machines jolted me awake. Five cars lined up in the center of a naturally-lit room with a high ceiling, except these cars appeared otherworldly. The structures were simpler, wider with round beams and tall hoods. These were motorcars, belonging to the turn of the twentieth century. Men went about each car, their faces smeared with car oil, tearing parts and others cleaned and repaired them on a designated section across the room.

A tall man in his late fifties peered at me from the center of the garage. With his waistcoat, he appeared to be the owner of this garage, with his expression shooting warmth, gentleness, and somehow fatherly. His face then broke into a smile.

"Haywood!" the man suddenly yelled to someone else, while his eyes were still fixed at mine. "The bonnie lass' here."

"Comin'!" answered a disembodied voice.

The gentleman then walked away, before I felt someone tucking my shoulder. As I turned around, I held my breath.

Cornelius sported a brown beret and a dapper gray tweed waistcoat. His white shirt underneath was smeared with dirt, which left slight traces on his face as well. He clutched a notebook in his hand and an ink pen on the other. I noticed hints of sweat matted on his arm and his brow.

Yet there was something different of him. I assumed it was his expression–his face lighting up in a humanly manner in a way it glowed, radiating warmth. 

On top of all, he looked more alive than ever.

"You're early, lass." Cornelius smiled.

"Cornelius, you're..." I trailed off. He waited. "You're alive?"

I reached out my hand to stroke his skin–his fair complexion wasn't of ghostly pale. When I felt his skin under mine, I winced at the warmth of his skin. Cornelius looked at me as if I was a gallery visitor trying to touch a piece of art.

"Of course I am. I am alive and busy." he frowned, his eyes tracing my action.

Cornelius threw his notebook and pen on the floor, then cupped my chin. He lifted my face so that my gaze was directed to his. "But I always do have time for you." his voice was almost like a whisper. His hand moved to reach the top of my head, pressing my head aside to his chest. My ear pressed against his chest.

Beats.

One...two...three...

I counted them.

My heart even fluttered. The beats were constant in my ears. Cornelius had retrieved his human features back. Warm complexion and expression, beating heart, the blood that ran in his veins, the visible bruise-like marks on his skin. all of his ghostly features were gone.

He was alive, again.

I lifted my face to look at him, his new features. He was reborn. He reached my hand and led it to his face, feeling his distinctly warm skin around his mouth. I ran my palm up and down.

I tried to say something, but no words came out of my mouth. A smile curved on his full lips on his new face.

Oh my God, you're alive...

Suddenly, something stung my chest, burning my lungs and I felt the air had been sucked out of the room. My breaths were becoming short and ragged. I gasped for air. The pressure rose to my throat...and I spit it out. A fresh red liquid trickled down from my lips and dripped profusely, staining my clothes and on my palms. I lifted my hand and stared in horror as my fingers were soaked in blood.

I frowned at Cornelius but a smile broke his face and he spoke.

"Now you know."

* * *