Prologue

ABERFELDY, SCOTLAND
1958

Just like any other day, she would drown her sight into it.

Her mind would venture far beyond its once glorious beige walls, now eroded by time. She wondered about the people who once lived there and the story kept within the house walls.

Her mother used to work there years ago. The great family not only owned the house but ruled the area. They bore no noble titles. But they were very much well regarded. Now years later, the young woman–now in her twenties–took an interest in the house.

Some noise broke her from her ponder, and it came from inside the house. Her eyes widened as she caught sight of a group of people–two men and a woman. She gasped in horror as one of the men carried another man, seemingly injured with blood gushing from his leg. The woman dragged a suitcase with wires wringing about.

The young girl knew something was up in the house. The man could not have simply tripped inside the house, and ended up with such a terrible injury. Did something attack him?

She quickly hid behind the bushes as the group loaded the wounded man and their equipment into a car not far parked from the manor's gate. But before the wounded man went in, he captured the girl's gaze, then shook his head. A look of warning flashed across his face.

The car skidded off. Her gaze returned to the house. As spooky as it might seem, it was alluring to her. The mystery still lingered even after thirty years. No one would ever forget it, not when the great house was in everyone's sight – hers included.

On other days, she would see men, women, and children standing less than a minute in a close distance to the manor–whispering, and bickering.

But not her. The house had fascinated her. The stories of her mother fueled her curiosity.

Before long, a chilling breeze blew from inside the house. She tiptoed away, determined to find out more.

Not now, but when the time came.