Chapter 20: Confrontation

The car pulled over in the driveway. I got off the car and Greg followed, leaning his elbows against the car roof.

"Thanks for the dinner. I had a great time." I clutched my bag. "Just remember our promise."

"Don't worry about that." Greg shrugged before he shifted his body at me and leaned in to kiss me. We froze as our lips were locked. I waited until this spark, fireworks, butterflies, and whatnot emerged from within but it never came up. I pulled away before anyone saw us snogging in the driveway.

Greg grinned. "Sorry, was it too soon?"

"No, not at all." I rubbed my left elbow out of anxiety.

"Hey, it seems your cardigan is a little too thin for the Highland weather." Greg sniffed. "Here."

I caught my breath when Greg pulled me into his body, his arms closing around my back and his hand rose to my neck, imminently perpetuating warmth through my spine. Alright, honestly this felt more right than the kiss. I shifted my weight fully in Greg's embrace, letting the warmth of his tall body seep into mine. His hot breath tickled my back of my neck as if they were exactly what I needed and what–

Cornelius was all absent.

I pulled away. Heat crawled to my cheeks at the thought of Cornelius could possibly be witnessing this.

After I muttered a thanks, a flustered Greg climbed back to his car and drove away from the premises. With my body still stinging from Greg's warm embrace, I rushed upstairs, rubbing my arms along the way.

The entrance hall was eerily quiet. I suspected Mum and Nathan were coming home late or they were already in their room. I wondered if Mum spotted me and Greg kissing on the driveway. She would probably be silently cheering and texting Emma, giggling in excitement for what was finally unfolding between me and Greg.

Either way, I tiptoed to my room before a gust of wind swept past me in the corridor. 

"The lad's kiss must have driven you mad." a velvety voice broke the silence from behind.

Cornelius was leaning against the window overlooking the corner of the driveway.

"Well yeah," I said quite firmly. "Greg and I are together now."

His face fell. Seeing him like that left a wound inside me, but I had started to build the wall between us.

"So he proposed?" Cornelius faltered.

"Oh no, none of that. We're just dating." I learned that confessing one's feelings would immediately lead to an instant proposal back in the early eras.

"Ah, how wonderful." he blinked.

I hinted defeat from his voice and Cornelius' body flickered like a dying lightbulb, occasionally turning transparent. He avoided catching my gaze and stared off the wall behind me. Heavy silence strung between us.

As I was headed back to my room, my eyes caught a crack in the corridor wall, which was not there before. Was it evidence that Cornelius had witnessed what had happened in the driveway? I shrugged the thought off and moved on.

What would happen now? Would my friendship with Cornelius be strained now? Would things ever be the same? 

"Do you really?" The sudden drop and rawness of his tone held me back.

"Pardon?"

"Love him?" he gulped.

"Of course, what are you on about?" I forced a chuckle, stealing a glance of him.

"So, that's what your heart really says."

"What does it matter to you?" I hissed.

"I'm well-aware of what I said to you, that I can't be that person. I really expected nothing out of this but..." Cornelius took a step towards me and at this point, my heart nearly burst out of my chest. "I was just expecting you to be more honest to yourself, and to me."