Chapter 16: Greg

Rain barely stopped pouring as winter was approaching, giving no slight chance for the sun to show up. Slippery roads close to the City Centre caused traffic. As soon as Nathan dropped me off at school that morning, I rushed towards English just moments before the sky opened up again for the day, preventing me from going all in soaked. Mr. Bones slammed his textbooks on his desk before the class started, his eyes scanned through the roster on his hand.

"Okay, before we begin, apparently you have a new classmate who came from...New York?" he eyed through his glasses to the classroom.

"That'd be me, sir." a blonde guy stood up a few desks away from mine.

Everyone broke into low chatters. Apparently, I was not the only newcomer of the year. Mr. Bones invited him to introduce himself. The blonde slid to the front of the class and the chatters stopped. That was the first time I noticed his face. 

His hair was not of a light blonde shade as Lorelai's. It was rather darker and scruffy, the tips almost covering his ears. He also sported bright blue eyes. Quite attractive, I must say.

"Hey, guys." He began. "Name's Greg. Smithson. I'm a transfer student from New York. Actually I spent my childhood in London before I moved to the States when I was six."

Yeah he certainly didn't sound like any of us in Great Britain. His accent reminded me one of those Americans on TV shows Irma used to be crazy about. Greg ended his introducing with a flash of smile, followed by low gasps from behind me. Phoebe and Lorelai going right at it. I sensed Ruby, who was seated next to me, rolling her eyes. Yeah, he was one of those blokes who got the girls smitten I give him that.

"On behalf of the faculty, I welcome you to Worthington." Mr. Bones said. "Now please return to your seat and open your book to page fifty-four."

When this Greg was headed back to his seat, his eyes momentarily met mine. His smile rose again, and somehow it struck quite a familiarity to it. I swore I'd seen it somewhere.

"Lisa?"

I frowned. "Huh?"

"It's really you!" his face lit up, but he minimised his volume. "It's me, we went to the preschool...uh...kindergarten together?"

My mind raced. Sure he looked familiar, but then it hit me.

"Greg?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

The class went silent at the moment and all eyes were on me and Greg.

"Miss Finch, you can have your reunion later after the class ends." Mr. Bones cleared his throat.

Greg returned his focus to his textbook and so did I. 

Lorelai poked me from behind. "You, Finch, owe us a huge explanation," she whispered right at my ear.

To tell her the truth, there wasn't much to explain. I only knew him a few years in kindergarten and that era was ages ago.

I stole a glance to Greg next to me, only to find him wink and mouthed. "We should talk more."

Somehow that wink did stir something within me.

* * *

"How come you didnae tell us?" Lorelai hissed under his breath after the class ended and we headed to our next class. 

"Yeah, you should tell us everything." Phoebe added.

I barely had a chance to catch up with Greg after class since he was shortly swarmed by some boys and a handful of girls in English class, quickly exchanging chatters and making friends.