Chapter 4: Strange Phenomenon

"How's your first day of school?" Mum asked during dinner.

"Fine." I scooped a spoonful of soup. As usual, every minute spent on the dining table felt like hours, and Nathan's presence always made it worse. I waited for the moment I could escape this dinner and bolt upstairs.

"Just fine? Nothing interesting?" Mum answered.

"Well, the kids are nice. Some are just...unique."

"Unique?" Nathan jumped in. I rolled my eyes at him, displeased by his interference.

"Yeah, like how some buy into superstitions." I tried to keep my answers short just so I could get away from here.

Although of course, not all Scottish people shared the same idea.

"Really? Did they tell you scary things?" Mum took another spoonful of soup.

I shrugged.

"Well, at least they're nice. I told you, you are going to like it here." Nathan added. I rolled my eyes.

As soon as I finished my dinner, I went straight upstairs to continue packing while blasting my Joy Division playlist from my phone to boost the mood. My exhaustion last night was too overwhelming so I was glad I finally had the time to resume unpacking. I placed my photo frames on the desk, in which a brand new iMac had now sat–another present from Nathan. I put all the books into the shelves according to the categories, as well as did a little final cleaning to get rid of the dust. I wouldn't let Nathan spoil me too much with all his wealth. I could do pretty much all hands-on back in London. So, when Nathan mentioned that he would hire a housekeeper later in the month, I half-heartedly agreed. What a brat!

When night fell, my new room looked a little more like home now that everything was coming together. I was satisfied with my own decorating handiwork. Arranging things in a new place had been therapeutic after the whole divorce ordeal. With the lighting now set up, the room radiated a warmer vibe. I only had quite a few things from smaller boxes which I saved for some other time.

I slid into my bed and turned on the telly afterward, only to see Doctor Who was playing. Dad loved this show and we'd always watch it after he went home from work. My phone blinked. A text came in.

"Kiddo, a friendly reminder that Doctor Who's on now. Wish you were here."

Odd that it felt like we were watching the same show together, yet miles apart.

"Watching, Dad. Miss you."

Wish you were here too, Dad.

* * *

Aileana...

I was standing in the dark corridor outside my room. The heavy downpour with rumbling thunder washed the ground outside the corridor. Not again. The quietness of the corridor crept in, yet unlike my other dreams involving my parents' quarrel, this didn't seem like it. This seemed like a whole different scene. Maybe it was my consciousness adjusting to a new setting.

I took a couple of small steps forward. My sock-covered feet dragged themselves against the floorboard.

Lightning flashed, illuminating the corridor for a few seconds, revealing a tall figure walking slowly towards me. He walked closer and closer. Faint footsteps filled the space.

Aileana...?

The hiss repeated and this time, it sounded closer and clearer. Did the hiss come from him? I couldn't see his face clearly. Could it be Nathan? Since he was the only guy in the house. But another lightning flashed, revealing younger features and paleness of skin from afar.