Chapter 25 - Part 2 of 2

"Amanda, may I have a word with you?" My grandmother asked as she walked towards me.

That was the last thing that I wanted to do today but I knew I couldn't say that to her face without getting angry looks or comments from my parents.

"Yeah sure." I answered, trying to keep my tone of voice under control.

She sat down at the kitchen table then looked at me waiting.  I got the message loud and clear she wanted me to sit down next to her, so I walked over to the table and sat down across from her instead.  The things Emily said during our appointment were true, I was more comfortable with her because she was family and not a complete stranger but I was still furious with her and my grandfather all at the same time.

She took a deep breath and started talking.  "People grow old...older."

I could have told her that, I thought to myself.

"I realize that it doesn't matter the age of the person...we all make mistakes and we always learn more about ourselves with those mistakes." She continued as my grandfather walked towards us and sat down next to her.

"I made many mistakes..." She said and her chin was shaking like she was trying her best not to cry.

"We made many, many mistakes." My grandfather corrected and took my grandmother's hand in his.

"We travelled most of our lives while thinking that we needed to live for today and see the world.  It started with one trip when the boys were younger then it just...continued.  We will never get back the times when we should have been home.  That is our biggest mistake and we need to live with the decisions we made, the wrong decisions." She said.

"All our trips were great, beautiful and we had a wonderful time except trips aren't supposed to last forever, we forgot what really mattered." My grandfather said.

"Oh yeah? What's that?" I asked.

"That life is short.  We should have been home when our boys were younger, that we should have been there for you and your parents when you were little and left that horrible place.  We should have hugged you more and tell you how much we both loved you.  We had so many years apart while everyone grew up and your grandmother and I lost so many opportunities with all of you, that was our fault." My grandfather said.

"We are truly sorry for the pain we afflicted on you Amanda, and so terribly sorry that we were not there for you as you grew older....we apologized to everyone for our errors...I know it won't change the past and it won't change the damage we've done to everyone but hopefully one day you wont hate me as much as you do now." My grandmother said while keeping eye contact with me.