Chapter 22

Chapter 22

"Amanda?!" I heard my mom yell.

I snapped out of my panic and focused on what she was going to tell me.

"Which hospital?" I asked her.

"The General, that's what the paramedic told me. They wouldn't let me drive up with him." She informed me.

Listening to her voice I knew she was crying and her panic was evident by the way she was breathing.

"Mom, don't drive. I'll come and pick you up." I told her.

"Justin is picking me up. Your dad was talking to him when it happened." She said between sobs.

"Okay. What about A.J. and Felix?" I asked.

"They're coming. A.J. wants to come..."

"Okay, I'll meet you at the hospital." I told her.

"Okay." I heard her say and she hung up.

I put my phone down and I could feel my body tremble from the shock.

"What's going on?" Blake asked making me jump. I had completely forgotten about him.

"My dad... they think he's having a heart attack, I have to go." I told him.

I zipped up my pants, grabbed my shirt off the floor and put it back on. I quickly looked around making sure I wasn't forgetting anything. I grabbed my purse and my car keys then headed to the front door.

"Oh no you're not." Blake said grabbing my keys out of my hands.

"Are you out of your freaking mind?! Give me the damn keys!" I yelled at him.

"You're not driving. You can't drive when your head is going in a million directions, that's the best way to kill yourself. I'm driving." He said.

I looked at him and he was fully dressed and ready to go, I just hadn't noticed.

"You're coming with me?" I asked surprised.

"Yeah I am. Now let's go." He said.

We rushed out of his apartment and I pressed the button for the elevator while he locked his front door.

When we got out of the building we both ran to his car and seconds later we were out of the parking lot.

We didn't talk. I kept looking outside the window, then at the clock. I knew he was speeding... he was going a bit too fast.

"Don't get pulled over." I whispered to him.

"I won't." He said and I noticed he slowed down a bit after that.

I wanted to arrive at the hospital as quickly as possible but getting pulled over by the cops and receiving a ticket would make the process longer. That was the last thing I wanted.

Looking out my window, I kept thinking back to when I was younger, before my brothers were born and before my parents were married. At the beginning when we started, the three of us, living together. The way my dad was so careful with me, so gentle. He always made sure I was okay. Walking through the apartment the first time with my mom and seeing all the toys he bought me. I was so happy but at the same time very nervous. I remember hoping he wasn't going to take my toys away like Jesse had done so many times.

I remember waking up in the apartment, thirsty and knowing he had left the house to go to work. I'd walk to the kitchen and he'd always leave me a sippy cup filled with milk that way I didn't have to wake up my mom.