Chapter Nine

With the fire still burning away, Marilyn and I snuggled up together. Fortunately, Pogo had fallen asleep so couldn't taunt us. Once my head was resting against his chest, Marilyn began smoothing my hair back softly. A smile found it's way onto my lips as my eyes drifted shut in contentment.

However, there was a snap sound from the woods, which made me sit up, wide eyed and alert. I scanned the area but couldn't see anything through the inky blackness. I could hear Marilyn laughing, though.

"I thought you said my story didn't scare you?" He mused, eyeing me suspiciously.

Shuddering at the memory of his cleverly crafted tale of psychotic mass murder and gore, I faced him.

"It didn't scare me!" I protested defiantly, but I didn't sound anywhere near as convincing as what I had hoped.

"Sure." He chuckled.

I scowled back at him and he just pulled me back against his chest, tucking his arms around me to secure me in place. Willingly, I snuggled into him, enjoying the sense of safety and comfort I got from his embrace.

We both stayed silent for what felt like hours; I was content with watching the stars and making constellations out of them whilst Marilyn seemed to do the same as he played with my hair.

"Do you see that?" He asked all of a sudden.

"See what?" I asked in alarm, expecting some sort of dangerous beast to emerge from the woods.

"The stars are making the shape of an elephant." He told me. "A severely deformed elephant, but oh well."

"Where?"

"Right there!" Marilyn pointed up at a part of the sky.

"I can't see it." I frowned.

An elephant? All I could see were random stars.

"Well look carefully, and you will."

I concentrated on where he was pointing, and tried to connect the stars as if it was a game of dot-to-dot. I wasn't in luck, though.

"Still can't see it." I frowned deeper.

"Here." Marilyn said instructively.

After shifting us so we were both sitting up, he took my hand in both of his and extended my index finger before aiming it up at the stars.

"You see that large star? The one under the two small ones?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Well if you follow it to this star, right in the middle of the- are you looking?"

"Yeah I'm looking."

"OK, well follow it to this star in the middle of the cluster, right here. Now, it goes here, and then to here..." Marilyn continued, showing me which star to look at by moving my hand. "You see how it goes down now, to here?"

"The head!" I gasped in realization as I could finally see it. "So it goes up there, and then across.." I murmured as I showed Marilyn that I saw what he saw. "To call this elephant deformed is definitely an understatement."

"Haha, I know." He chuckled. "We should name that constellation."

"Deformed Dumbo." I mumbled referring to the movie about an elephant with large ears.

"That'll work." He grinned.

Instead of letting my hand go, he kept hold of it with one of his, and intertwined our fingers gently. I could feel myself blushing, and was glad that the only light was from the fire so it wouldn't get noticed.