Chapter 16

Detective Harley POV

Staring at the reports in front of me, I frowned deeply.

"Something isn't right..."

"Duh." The young girl snickered to her friends.

"Thank you, Jax."

"Sorry, sir." She apologized. "But... well you see, our friend has been kidnapped by his abusive father. Of course 'something isn't right'."

"Jax!"

"Don't worry, Thomas." I waved the young lad's concern off before turning and looking at the unusual group before me.

Jax, Thomas, Pogo and Marilyn; the latter two were not real names, but the youths had expressed their wish to be called that and so I shall do. They each had their own striking personalities about them, they were all different and unique in their own way; I wouldn't ever have imagined seeing a group of friends this mismatched, but here they were. They were also all admiringly brave, wise and mature for their age, and I vowed right then and there that I would give it my all, and then some, to help find their friend.

"But what I was referring to, was the fact that I've seen this man before. I'm sure of it." I continued.

The teenagers' eyes widened in shock before surprised murmurs rippled throughout their group.

"Where?" Jax asked me.

Ah, Jax. She was the bravest of the group, the most ballsy. I really admired her for it; she was brave and confident.

"I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'll be able to find out."

"What about Twiggy?" Pogo asked.

Marilyn's flinch didn't escape my notice, nor did the overall state of the boy; he had been a wreck when he had given his statement, and looked positively haunted. He still looked like he was in a right state, and I was  ever so thankful he had such amazing friends to help him through.

"I don't remember anything of this man having a son. And the name Jeordie doesn't ring a bell, either." 

None of this made sense, but I knew I'd worked a case involving this ghastly man. Why could I not remember more?

"Detective Harley?"

We all looked up to see Officer Wu approach with a grin and hopeful expression.

"Yes?"

"The security tapes from the school. Also, his previous address and school the boy was enrolled into." He placed a small folder and evidence box onto my desk. "And this is where it gets interesting." He smirked. "I personally took a used mug from the crime scene down to forensics for testing. Let's just say, his name isn't registered with us under White. He's been using false identification."

"Honestly, Wu... why haven't you been promoted yet?" I shook my head in awe. "Thank you!"

"I often wonder that myself."

"He's been using fake names?" Pogo checked.

"So it would seem." Officer Wu sighed. "He has quite the criminal record."

"So... what's his real name?" Jax asked.

"It's all here." Officer Wu gestured to the evidence and folder.

"And Twiggy... is he really called Jeordie White?" Thomas added.

"That would be doubtful." I replied.