Chapter Six

Pulling into the school parking lot, Marilyn took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze; he must have noticed my uneasiness at being around a lot of people. I smiled at him a little before looking at all the people arriving.

I didn't go home last night, I had fallen asleep on Marilyn for the second time in a row. I couldn't help it; he made me feel so safe.. like I was protected. I had never really had that before but now I know it was the greatest feeling ever.

After waking up, we all showered, including Pogo since he fell asleep on the floor, and I borrowed some of Marilyn's clothes again, but with my own boots and hoodie since they had dried off. I used some concealer too. Now it was time to face another school day, and I couldn't shake the feeling of nausea it brought me.

"Come on Twiggs." Marilyn said as he slipped out of the car.

I did the same and followed him and Pogo inside the building. We passed the people who had beat me on my first day, and I instinctively walked closer to Marilyn.

"Everything OK?" Pogo asked since I practically squirmed in between them.

I nodded slightly, keeping my gaze on my battered shoes, praying I was smaller so I could slip by everyone without getting noticed.

"The faggot brigade has a new member, look!" Some idiot jeered which was followed by a round of laughter.

I bit the inside of my cheek and heard Pogo cuss quietly. I half expected them to walk over and do something, but they stayed put in their large group as they passed a ball around. They ignored us after that and kept to themselves. Sneaking a peek at Marilyn, I noticed he didn't even look phased. In fact, he looked.. amused.

"Dumpsters?" Pogo asked. "I don't really want to go to tutor."

"Yeah, we'll wait there until first class." Marilyn answered.

I followed them gratefully as we fought our way through the masses of students, often hearing someone cuss at us, or throw us a dirty look when we got pushed into them. I noticed that if someone else, someone accepted by them was pushed into their back, they'd laugh it off or not care at all. However, when it was one of us, they looked at us as if we were vermin.

"At last!" Pogo cheered as we entered and then sat in the dumpster lot.

It was nice to have a small space to ourselves; I didn't like people or crowds, so being able to sit here helped calm me.

"I really hate this place." Marilyn stated, his face calm but tone seething.

"I know, but it's not forever." Pogo shrugged.

"It is." Marilyn sighed. "Not the exact place, I know. But people everywhere will be as stupid and ignorant as this. There's no escaping that."

Pogo just grunted and shrugged.

"Anyway, Twiggs." Marilyn changed the subject, making his tone lighter. "What lesson do you have first?"

"Erm..." I mumbled, reaching around to get my bag so I could take my time table out of it. "..Oh.. I left my bag at.. uh.. home.."

Now I didn't know any of my classes, and will be walking around lost all day! I could almost taste the humiliation and anxiety that the day would bring.

The first bell rang, signalling that everyone had to go to tutor. However, we stayed put, relaxing against the dumpsters.

"It's best to do this. Avoid the crowds. Tutor isn't important anyway." Pogo told me. "And give it a couple of minutes and we'll go to reception and get another copy of your timetable."