Chapter 14

Jax POV

"We need to talk to the authorities... we can't just sit around and do nothing." I urged to Pogo as I lounged against Marilyn's kitchen counter.

"What proof do we have?" Pogo raised an eyebrow, looking glum.

"It's worth a try, isn't it?"

At that moment, there was a loud rasping on the front door; we abandoned the kitchen to go answer it. Pogo and I were greeted by a tall, lanky figure with a mess of light brown hair.

"Hey Thomas." I greeted my old friend, moving back so he could come in.

We all  went back to the kitchen before talking.

"So..." I breathed, raking a hand through my hair. "What have you got?"

Thomas sighed, leaning against a counter and looking at his shoes for a long moment, before looking back to me.

"Lacey and Robin are taking over the search. We've had no luck. Sorry." He frowned, dejectedly.

Frowning, I pinched the bridge of my nose. This really wasn't looking good.

"We have to get the police involved." I said again. "It's our best chance, evidence or not."

Pogo and Thomas looked at each other for a moment, before nodding in agreement.

"I guess we can't put it off any longer." Thomas sighed.

"However, if they do find them... will Twiggy be brave enough to stand up to his Dad in court? I mean, he's terrified of the guy..." Pogo began.

"With good reason!" I cut in.

"I never said he didn't have reason to!" Pogo said quickly. "But we don't want that rat to get away with what he's done."

There was a slight pause before another voice filled the kitchen.

"You know what..."

We all turned around to see Marilyn lounging in the doorway. He had a rather haunted look on his sickeningly pale face, with dark circles under his bloodshot eyes.

"I think Twiggy could do it."

There was a flicker of hesitation where no one could say they agreed with the statement.

"Are you sure, Manson?" Pogo asked quietly. "I mean, he practically quakes in his boots whenever he so much as glances at the guy."

"I'm sure. Twiggy can be strong. We'll support him, and he'll get there."

No one could argue with the look of pure determination on Marilyn's face, and it filled the small group with an inkling of hope.

"Jax?"

"Hmm?"

"We need to plan what to say to the cops. If that's our best chance of getting Twiggy back, then that's where we'll start."

"Maybe I could talk to the headmaster..." Pogo suggested quietly.

Everyone pondered the fact for a while.

"It's worth a shot." I nodded. "They've gotta take it seriously, considering it's abuse after all."

"Alright." Pogo sighed. "Well, I'm going home. I need sleep... it's gonna be a busy day tomorrow." He winced.

"I'll see you out." Marilyn said, and the pair left the room.

Once they were out of earshot, Thomas turned to face me.

"How are you holding up?" He asked, sounding worried.

"Now's not the time to worry about me." I waved his concern off.

"But..."

"No, we need to focus on Twiggy. I'm safe for now, he's not."

I swallowed back a solid lump that had seemed to be permanently lodged into my throat. I was safe at Marilyn's... I wouldn't get found... or well, I hoped I wouldn't get found.

"Oh, Jax..." Thomas frowned. "Why are you being so noble?"

"Oh, go away." I rolled my eyes at him. "Don't worry about me. If I need to worry, you'll be the first person I'll go to, OK?"

"Jax..."

"Right?" I emphasized the word.

"Fine."

"Thank you."

Thomas continued to frown at me but I ignored him and decided to forage for food in Marilyn's fridge. I hadn't eaten in hours and given the events of the day, well... I was famished.

Marilyn POV

I knew time was dragging forward slowly, creeping on until it was the early hours of the morning as I lay awake, staring at the ceiling. In my head, I went over everything Jax and I had planned; we had spent a good two hours coming up with the best course of action for the morning. We knew we were going to be opening up a rather large can of worms by going to the authorities, but we didn't care.

"Twiggy." I breathed. "Where are you?"

Memories from our previous night seeped into my mind, and I scowled; I remembered cuddling up to him, holding him, reassuring him.

'I'm here, and I always will be. Alright?' Played through my mind.

My jaw clenched on it's own accord as a horrific ache surged through the center of my chest, squirming its way to my stomach; it seemed to just burn a hole right through me, mentally of course.

"Guess I won't be getting much sleep tonight." I mumbled to myself, sitting up and kicking the covers back.

Angrily, I pulled some random clothes on and left my bedroom, heading downstairs. Once I had my shoes on, I pocketed my keys and left the house. 

The chill of the night air bit at my skin, and I hissed momentarily before squaring my shoulders and continuing. Unsure of my destination, I began walking with large strides. I just had to move, to do something. Sitting still just wasn't working out.

House after house, streetlight after streetlight, road after road. I kept walking, refusing to stop until the swirl of emotions and restlessness inside me began to ease.

Eventually, I reached a familiar gravel path which after a few more minutes of walking, lead to a wooded area that I knew all too well; I passed into a narrow clearing without a moment of hesitation.

The creek.

That seemed like an appropriate place to go; the serenity and otherworldly beauty of the place may actually help clear my head and give me a sense of peace. It may even help give me more ideas about what to do next, and how to deal with the authorities in a few hours. Or maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to fall asleep here.

Fallen leaves and rotting sticks were squashed beneath my steps, until I finally made it into the clearing. I paused and looked at the scene around myself.

A mesmerizing full moon hung overhead, making the surrounding sky look even darker and stars littered the inky black above my head. The woodland and field was bathed in a beautiful, pale glow, which also reflected off of the still, black water.

After letting out a huge breath I was unaware I had been holding, I strode forwards to sit at the water's edge. On a whim, I removed my shoes and put my feet in the water without caring that it was cold enough to the point of freezing. I then flopped onto my back and watched the stars above.

It could've been minutes, it could've been hours, but eventually the mystical atmosphere of the place calmed my nerves enough to the point that I did in fact slip into a well needed sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter was a little smaller than others, but it felt right to end it there before the next scene. It seemed important to throw some Marilyn angst into the story! Anyway, hope you enjoyed!