Chapter 38

"How long is this going to take?"

"It's a mystery."

"I hate mysteries."

"You're a mystery yourself."

We've been sitting in Michael's car for about 25 minutes, much longer than I had expected to. He claimed the drive to my new house was 'just down the road' and would 'only take a few minutes',but it's been just a tad longer and I was starting to get fidgety. I don't quite know if it was from the nerves or excitement, or a mix of both. Probably both.

We were sitting in silence, a comfortable one. We haven't talked very much the whole way here, but we didn't need to. Chances are I was going to be distracted by my thoughts anyways. Just as the idea left my head, Michael pulled into a familiar neighborhood. I took my legs off his dashboard, something that he'd gotten used to after weeks of scolding me about. I sat up and look around at the bright green golf course that was on either side of the road. We'd driven into one of the nicest areas in my town and I'd only been here a few times for parties.

"I don't live here now, do I?" I furrowed my eyebrows at the large houses then back to Michael who had a smirk on his face. He kept his eyes on the road and made a few more turns, finally pulling into the driveway of a white 2 story house. It had been about the same size as the house before, but I still hadn't seen the inside.

"You do now." Michael answered after parking his car. He looked over at me with a cheesy grin and unlocked the doors. "Are you going to go inside or what?" He chuckled. My smile became wider and we hoped out at the same time, speeding around the hood of his car to catch up with him.

We hurried up the steps, giggling like school children and noticed a note taped to the front door. I swiftly grabbed it off and read it out loud.

"There's a key on top of the door frame, be back at 1. Mom." I looked up at Michael who was already stretching up and fumbling for the key, just like how he did when I first showed up to his grandmother's house.

"Déjà vu?" Michael said, going back to his normal height and twisting the key into the lock. He twisted the door handle and gestured me in first.

"Definitely." I breathed out once I took a step inside. I felt him hand rest on the small of my back and I turned over my shoulder to see his eyes lit up just as mine were.

The house was phenomenal to say the least. The floors were darkened hardwood which Michael and I spent no time sliding over in just our socks. It had just the basic furniture in there, couches, beds, chairs, and a few tables. We had ran all through the house, shouting at each other from each end saying how amazing this house was. There were 5 rooms and each were painted a subtle beige that clashed well with our dark red kitchen. It was astonishing how great of taste my mother had.

Just as Michael and I were running down the steps, we both heard the front door open, making us slow our speed. We trotted down the last few steps and were able to catch a view of my mother in the doorway with a tall and older man. I took a few steps ahead on Michael so I could run up to my mother and hug her after not seeing her for 2 weeks.

"Mom!" I shouted, making her snap her head in my direction. She opened her arms and nearly fell over once I crashed into her, "Oh my God, I missed you so much." I spoke quickly. I heard her soft laugh next to my ear as she pulled back.

"I missed you too." She grinned at me. Her eyes went over my shoulder as my head turned over mine, only to see Michael walking towards us with just as a big of a smile as my mother and I had on. I took a step over, watching as Michael and my mother embraced and they began babbling on about the trip.