Chapter 6

I turned down yet another drink, the one in my system being enough. I remembered that I had to be home tonight so I might as well be the designated driver. The almost empty bottle was being passed around for the sixth or seventh time.

"No way!" Calum yelled out as he hunched over in amusement. We all erupted in laughter after an embarrassing story was told by Ashton.

"It's true!" Ashton yelled back, trying to fight back his laugh.

Slurred sentences and hiccups around me were easily heard. Music filled the background that was still blaring, even at midnight. The commotion was beginning to be a bit too much at the moment. I peered down at my hands that were now in my lap. One hand grasped my empty glass and the other was wrapped under my wrist. I leaned over, placing the cup back in the box.

"I'm heading down to the dock, I'll be back in a little." I said as I stood up, wiggling out of Michael's grip. A group "aw" was let out and I shook my head and smiled.

"Do you want one of us to come with you?" Annabel asked, who was now sat with Ashton.

"No, no. It's fine. Really."

She sat back down, letting Ashton's arms re-wrap around her. I turned to make my way down, when my hand was tugged back. My eyes went over my shoulder to meet with Michael's gaze. His eyes were slightly hazed over, making his normal bright green ones dull into a darker grey. His lips turned down, forming a pout. I tugged my hand back in hopes of his release. He looked down at our hands and tightened his grip then let go slowly.

My arms wrapped around my own torso as the breeze hit my skin and my heels tapped along on the stark wood. There wasn't much light, just the moon's contrast against the dark water. I slipped my heels off and let them dangle in my fingers.

I dropped down once I reached the end, tugging at my dress so it lays smoothly. My hands moved behind me, supporting my weight. I stared at the sky, soaking the the quiet I had. I let my fingers tap to the song that was barely audible now. My thoughts were scattered, unable to piece together, kind of like the repetitive nails and wood I was currently sitting on.

A creek from behind me snapped me out my mind. I turned over my shoulder, only able to make out the outline of a boy walking towards me. My attention turned back to the sky, making out constellations. The figure sat beside me, but a few feet away. I didn't look towards him and kept my focus latched on the scenery.

I wasn't exactly ignoring him, but rather his actions. He scooted over, now only being a foot away.

"Maddie?" My eyes slowly made their way from the water to the boys' arms who were placed like mine. I trailed up his shoulders and let my eyes adjust to the lighting, focusing on the familiar face.

"Michael." I breathed out, pulling a light smile. He smiled back then turned his attention to our swaying legs. "What are you doing here?" I asked in a hushed tone.

"I dunno. I was kind of worried, but I knew you were okay. Maybe it was just my conscious." He laughed at himself, obviously the alcohol still having an affect on him.

"You can go back if you like. I'm not very entertaining.." I said lightly, kicking my feet.

"Oh but you are Maddie. You can occupy me better than smoke and burning throat can." He looked at me with a smug smile, his eyes still heavy. He pushed his shoulder against mine, jokingly shoving me. "You know," He trails off, shifting his body too rest his head in my lap. "I haven't met your dad yet, I bet he's nice."

I tensed up at the mention of my father. I looked down at him, unsure of what to say. My breath hitched then all at once I decided to give in to him.