Chapter 10

"Cause I've been trying way too long to try to be the perfect song."

My body was just barely waking up, but still in the stage of my eyes staying clamped shut.

"When our hearts are heavy burdens, we shouldn't have to bear alone."

The shushed serenade filled my ears. It was as if I was in a trance. I could hear the hums, but I couldn't make out to who it was or even get myself to fully wake up to find out.

"So goodnight moon and goodnight you when you're all that I think about, all that I dream about."

I listened as intently as I could, my mind finally letting pushing my body to wake up.

"How'd I'd ever breathe without a goodnight kiss from goodnight you."

I felt my hair being twisted over and over and my eyes slowly flickered open at the calming sensation. Even in the king sized bed, I was tangled tightly to a body in the very middle as if we moved an inch apart we'd fall to the ground. My arm was thrown over his bare torso and my head rested on his chest.

I guess he had taken notice of my consciousness and stopped humming the familiar tune. I tilted my head up, searching for his reassuring eyes.

"Why'd you stop?" My voice was stifled, as it was the first thing that came out of my mouth this morning. He returned my stare, giving me a shy smile.

"Because you're awake now." Michael's voice was raspy and deeper than normal. His eyelids were slightly heavy and he had small crinkles by his eyes. Even this early in the morning he was extremely captivating to me.

I rested my head back on his chest, listening to his steady heart beat as we sat in silence. My finger traced small circles against his side as he did the same to the exposed skin on my waist caused by my jacket riding up.

"What do you want to do today?" He asked, breaking the silence. I sighed heavily as I sat up in front of him.

"I don't know." I glanced my hands then back up to Michael. "I'm off of work today, we have the whole day."

He grinned at my answer and threw the covers off of himself.

"We'll drive around your place so you can get back into your clothes and you can get ready and I'll take you out. Anywhere you want. Deal?"

"Deal."

-

I opened the door to my bedroom, following behind Michael. He sat on my bed as he gazed over the multiple pictures that hung on my wall and the books that aligned the few shelves I had.

"Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you liked books." He chuckled. He stood up and walked over, running his finger down the spines of a few. I was pulling clothes out of my drawer in attempt to get ready. He peered over his shoulder to me then turned back to his original state. "How many do you have?"

I stepped onto the cold tile of my bathroom floor. "Too many, that's for sure." I mumbled, but loud enough for him to hear me. I shut the door briefly to change into a pair of jean shorts and a casual shirt, not wanting to over do my appearance.

Once I finished, I opened my door so I didn't have to speak to him through a thin piece of wood. I turned to my mirror and instantly caught a view of dark spots on my neck. My eyes grew wide at the sight.

"Oh God." I said without hesitation.

"What?" Michael appeared in my reflection behind me.

I rolled my head to the side just far enough to let the light show the bruises. I trailed my fingers cautiously over them, not wanting to cause myself any pain. My teeth caught my lip as I examined the marks.