Chapter 20

Dedicated @navi2298 for voting every single chapter :P Thank you!^

Chapter 20

Ellie's P.O.V

Immense pressure on my chest. Something trickling down my lips and my chin. Faint murmurs of concern. The pressure again. Voices calling my name. Coughing. Was that water trickling down my chin? Someone pressed down on my chest again, and I coughed up more water. I tried opening my eyes, but my nerves wouldn't respond.

"Ellie, Ellie, open your eyes!"

I coughed up more water from my lungs. The voices became a little bit more clear.

"Is she going to be okay?"

"She should be..."

I felt the pressure on my chest again, and this time, I jerked into a sitting position, my eyes suddenly fluttering open, water literally streaming down my mouth. Clutching my throat, I coughed out water, finally getting air inside my lungs.

Someone patted my back, making me cough violently, spitting all the water out from my lungs. My throat burned as if it had been on fire. I took deep breaths, realizing that I needed air, still coughing once in a while and spitting drops of water from my mouth.

I blinked multiple times, trying to adjust to my surroundings. It was pretty dark right now...and I was sitting on the ground, a few feet away from the pool. That's when I actually started noticing everything around me.

Ace was the first person I spotted, my vision still foggy. He was crouched in front of me, completely soaked from head to toe, murmuring soothing words, along with the others, but I was still a little disoriented to make out what they were saying.

Zach was right beside me, patting my back soothingly, and Jayden was beside Zach, watching me with concern. Angelino was nowhere to be seen.

"Wha..." My voice cracked, and my throat burned, making me cough again. The coughing made my stomach hurt too much, and I knew it wasn't only because of that. I probably had a bruise on my stomach right now, from the edge of the pool.

Before I could try and speak again, Ace wrapped his arms around me and engulfed me into a tight hug. He snuggled his head into my hair. "Do you have any idea how much you scared m--us?" his voice sounded strained, as if he wanted to cry. My heart melted right there.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled into his chest, and just as suddenly, I pulled away from him. Turning my head to the side and away from them, I puked. Nothing but water came out. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Angelino burst out of the back door, a phone pressed against his ear. He quickly hung up as soon as he saw me.

"Oh thank God, you're okay!" He quickly jogged up to me, avoiding the slimy dish wash -unlike I had- and crouched down next to me, handing me the towel that was in his hand. I accepted it gratefully, wiping my mouth with it and coughing a little into it.

"That was for drying yourself..." he muttered quietly.

I caught his worried stare, and suddenly felt uncomfortable at all the attention trained on me. "I'm...f-fine," I rasped, and suddenly wished I hadn't. My throat burned yet again, and I slowly murmured "I want water" to whoever was listening. I'd thought that after almost drowning and swallowing too much water, I wouldn't be thirsty.

Angelino got up to leave, but Ace stopped him. "We can get her inside the guest room and give her dry clothes to wear, along with the water," he quickly explained. Angelino nodded in agreement.

As Ace mentioned dry clothes, I started feeling the wetness, and shivered. Zach and Jayden got up as well, and I followed.

Well, I tried. As soon as I got on my feet, they shook underneath me and gave away, and I almost crumpled to the floor. Ace slid his large hands around my waist, holding me up against him. "Eaasy there," he whispered.