Chapter 11

Chapter 11

We were now situated in the living room, sitting side-by-side on the couch, with me holding a zip lock bag filled with ice on top of my injured hand. There was an awkward silence in the room, and neither of us knew what to say to each other. Finally, Ace broke the silence.

    "You don't have to tell me anything. You were right, I was being an asshole-"

     I cut him off. "No, Ace. What I said was absolutely mean. You were only trying to help me, and I snapped at you. I'm sorry for that. And, anyway, I want to tell you everything."

     I looked straight into his eyes, as I finally poured out everything to him. I told him everything, leaving no details out, staring at the floor the whole time.

     "Luke...he and I met in Australia, when I went with my family and Beth to spend the summer over there with my cousins. He was really sweet to me. We got to know each other, and he asked me to be his girlfriend. I was surprised, also a bit hesitant, since I would have to leave soon. But he said that we'd work out a long-distance relationship, and that I could visit him every summer."

     "I agreed, but I still had my doubts about this whole long-distance thing. I'd heard that they never work out. Nevertheless, I agreed to be his girlfriend. He was so nice, always acted like a gentle man, and my doubts about our relationship not working slowly faded."

     "We used to call and text each other every other day. And then, as I had promised him, I visited him the next summer. Beth came with me. I could tell there was something off about Luke the moment I saw him again. But I didn't pay much attention to it. I didn't want to believe there was something wrong...with our relationship." 

     "The second night of that summer, my cousins who lived there, threw a party, and invited me and Beth. Luke was a good friend of my cousins. I...when we entered the house, Luke was already there, and he immediately set to persuading me into having a few drinks."

    "Beth had gone off somewhere, and my cousins were no where to be seen. When I refused, he got angry. He grabbed a glass full of some weird substance in it, and tried to force it into my mouth."

I tried to get away from him, but that only aggravated him more. He threw the glass on the floor, and it shattered into pieces. He....he then tried...to..." I wavered, and I felt my eyes brim with tears.

   I felt a heavy, muscled arm drape around me, and this time, it was Ace. He drew me closer to him, rubbing my arm soothingly. "Sshh, you don't have to continue. It's okay, I understand," he murmured softly.

     "No, Ace. He-he tried to f-force me to get me in the b-bed with him. I screamed, kicked, did everything I was capable of doing, but he didn't l-let go of me", more tears ran down my cheeks, and Ace's grip on my shoulders tightened. He was stiff as a board.

   "It was so dark in the room, i couldn't see anything. He was lying on top of me, when the door burst open, and Michael, my oldest cousin, barged in. He turned the light on, then he went ballistic. He grabbed Luke and yanked him off of me, and started punching him continuously. I didn't try to stop him. I was too shocked to do anything."

    "He finally noticed me whimpering and crying on the bed, and quickly came up to me. He kicked Luke out of the house. Beth convinced Michael not to call the police. But before he left, he told me that he'll come back for me someday, and he'll...f-finish what he started."

   It felt so good, to finally let everything out. I felt like the weight on my shoulders had lessened considerably. Ace drew me closer to him, and placed his hand on my hair, gently laying my head on his chest.