Chapter 2

I stand where the ocean water and sand meets. I stare down at my feet as the water flows past my feet and leaves again. I couldn’t get any sleep last night. Stupid Gabby was on my mind all night. I take a deep breath. I’m starting to regret declining her offer to play volleyball with her.

          “Haylie….?”

          I jump from surprise and turn around. Wow, it’s Gabby. Somehow she’s more beautiful than what she was yesterday.

          “Hi… how did you recognize me from the back?” I ask curiously

          “I remember your emo-ish layered hair.” She smiles big.

          “Oh.”

          I touch my hair feeling self-conscious. Does she find those kinds of haircuts un-attractive?

          “I’m so happy you are here again.”

          I raise my eyebrow crossing my arms. I don’t open up to people easily. I’m afraid to get hurt. Gabby makes me want to open up, but I’m fighting not to.

          “Why?” I stare at her confused.

          “I told you I’m nice, I like people.” She laughs.

          “Why would a beautiful girl like you hang around a loner like me?”

          Aww shit. I told her she was beautiful. I’m going to blush again. Damn it Gabby. I don’t even know you and you’re making me crazy! My body wants to scream. Okay, I’m over-exaggerating.

          “I don’t know. You’re a mystery to me. I like to solve my mysteries.” She winks at me. What the hell? I’m not her mystery. She’s so free-spirited I’m going to die.

          “You enjoy being happy, don’t you?” I ask. That was a dumb question but oh well.

          “Yeah. If being happy makes other’s smile, then that’s what I’ll do.” She shrugs her shoulders. “I don’t know, you might find that stupid.”

          “I don’t find it stupid.”

          I look around as it stays silent for a while. Her phone ends up ringing so I stare at the ground rocking back and forth from my toes to my heels.

          “Hey, I have to go. But…”

          She comes over to me and grabs my arm. She starts to write down her number. “This is my number. Give me a call or text sometime.”

          I look at my arm and as soon as I do I feel her lips against my cheek. I open my eyes wide looking at her when her lips part my cheek. She just made fireworks explode inside of me. I seriously think I’m going to die. She gives me a big smile and waves as she leaves.

          So basically, in my small compact mind, everything is out of place. My stomach is still exploding with butterflies. I can still feel the imprint of her lips against my cheek.

          “I’m home!” I yell coming through the front door.

          “Hello sweetie.” My grandmother says from the kitchen.

          I smell the delicious food coming from the kitchen. My grandma is the best cook ever.

          “I’m going to be in my room for a while.”