Chapter Three

After a minute there was a knock at the door.

"What?" I snapped.

He cleared his throat a little, "What are you doing in there?"

"Go away," I really didn't have to energy to look at him.

"Fine," he griped.

I laid on the floor, looking up at the ceiling. I couldn't help but lay there and think. I really needed to. It's like my mind was about to shut down, and it was experiencing a final frenzy of thoughts and memories. A tear escaped out the corner of my eye. I don't know if it was from stress or sadness. Probably both. 

My hands shook. I couldn't take this. I needed some sort of escape. 

I'd had my share of traumatic experiences in my life, but this one definitely took the cake. No, Roger wasn't abusive--he was just annoying, really--but the reality of being on another planet against my will and no way to get home made me feel so helpless. At least I had somewhere to run to when my father hurt me. I had friends to go to. Or if not them, I could run away and armed guards wouldn't stop me and lock me up in a hole. 

Maybe I just had to be smarter about it, find another way to escape. 

A headache took it's place and I decided the for that moment, I just needed to sleep. I curled up in a little ball against the wall and closed my eyes. 

***

I woke up with a start. Another nightmare. My eyes scanned the room in a frenzy, it was completely dark aside from glowing green numbers emanating from the alarm clock.

They read 12:53 pm. Thirst suddenly overwhelmed me. I moved to stand when I noticed there had been a blanket laid over me. I looked down and saw a pillow as well. 

Did Roger do that? 

I stood and looked at his bed, it was still made and empty. 

I walked to the kitchen. The apartment was empty, aside from me. Where had he gone? Did he leave? I wondered.

I filled a glass with water from the sink and leaned against the island in the kitchen, drinking greedily. When I set it down I glanced out the window that  viewed a small porch and saw Roger, sitting in a chair and looking out at nothing. He had a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of whiskey in the other. It was the picture of lonely.

I hesitated before going to the sliding door that opened to the porch and stood in front of Roger. He looked up at me with eyes glazed over. Drunk.

"Roger, what are you doing?" I sighed and sat in the chair next to him, taking the bottle out of his hand and setting it on the floor next to me.

He looked away, "I don't know." He took a drag of his cigarette, breathing out a cloud of smoke.

I decided not to berate him right now, he looked so sad.

We sat for a few moments in silence before he spoke up.

"I'm sorry."

I looked at him in surprise, "What?"

He looked ahead at the buildings, "You heard me."

He sounded so dismal. I knew then that he had issues. Something deep inside ate away at him.

I knew the feeling.

I sighed again, and got up, holding my hand out to him. "Come on, you need to go to bed."

He nodded and took my hand, stumbling slightly as he got up. I put my arm around his waist as we walked to his bedroom.

He looked at me, eyes half closed and kissed my cheek before collapsing on his bed, nearly asleep. A small smile caressed my lips. Maybe he wasn't 100% asshole. 

I undid his shoes, taking them off, and laid his comforters over top of him.

He needs water. My dad always needed water. I went to the kitchen and filled a cup of water, setting it on the table next to his bed.

I then took the pillow and blanket from his room and made myself a makeshift bed on his couch, falling asleep just as quickly as he did.