Chapter Eleven

I woke up to sunshine warming my face. My stomach grumbled almost immediately.

Today felt like a pancake kind of day, I decided.

I got up from the couch and cringed as a pain shot up from my foot. Oh, yeah. I had forgotten about my incident with the glass from the night before.

After a slow walk to the kitchen, I searched through Roger's cabinet's and retrieved the ingredients for buttermilk pancakes. Some bacon and eggs sounded like a good accompaniment. Once I had a decent stack of pancakes made, Roger strolled into the kitchen still only wearing his baggy sweatpants.

"I smelt the bacon," he muttered, sitting down at the kitchen table.

I brought him a plate of food and sat across from him with my own plate. We scarfed down our food and once we finished Roger took our plates and went to do the dishes.

Huh. Another nice act. Roger seriously needed to make up his mind. Was he a sweet guy who bandaged feet and washed dishes, or was he an egotistical jerk with an arrogance problem? I couldn't lie, I was starting to like both.

I decided to look in his bedroom for something to do. A small bookshelf sparked my interest. I took a book from his collection, bringing it with me as I sat down on the couch in the living room. This book was called Child of Darkness. Creepy.

I began reading and was surprised that it actually caught my fancy. I barely noticed as Roger sat across from me, doing work on his computer. He must not have work on the weekends.

After a stretch of time, a loud knock came from the door. I sat up, about to get the door when an even louder knock erupted and the door barged open. In came a man wearing doctors' scrubs, and a buff guy wearing all black. The man in black walked swiftly toward me and took hold of my arm, hoisting me off of the couch. Very roughly might I add.

He must be a soldier.

"Hey let go!" I yelled at him. Who is he anyway?

He simply ignored me and dragged me behind him toward the door where the man in scrubs stood with his clipboard. He looked slightly uncomfortable.

Roger abruptly stepped up to him with a murderous expression.

"What the hell are you doing man? Back the fuck off."

Roger was menacing and at least a head taller than guy in black.

Soldier man hesitantly let go of my arm, and I felt bruises forming. He had a tight grip.

"That's what I thought. Why are you here and where are you trying to take her?" He still looked pissed.

The guy swallowed obviously a bit scared of Roger.

The man in scrubs spoke up, "orders from the council. We found out, well-"

"What?"

"Let's just say one of the women we took up wasn't actually a female."

Roger and I both frowned, confused beyond belief. The aliens brought up a cross dresser, or maybe a transgendered person? I would have thought they would be more careful...

Roger spoke up again.

"That still doesn't explain why you're taking Natalie."

"The council's orders were for medical staff to collect every assumed female for an exam. We have to be sure, since we apparently made a mistake."

"Oh," is all Roger says.

Wait, wait, wait. I have to prove my gender? I cringed, guessing what that would entail.