Chapter 17: Legacy

It has been a week since Operation Blackstone. The mission's overall failure has given sufficient motivation to the agents of MI6 to push themselves harder. The crippling of M has put him in a permanent position behind his desk, being only able to move around in his electronic wheelchair. Later during the day, he goes to a public inquiry with Q. After sitting through a public meeting, the press is asked to leave the meeting after about two hours into it. M looks around confused and the Judge looks down at him.

"Gareth, there have been talks. We have decided, in private, to ensemble a small unit. After your recent failure to capture Ernst Stavro Blofeld and completely eradicate SPECTRE, we have thought of this as our next move," the judge finishes.

"Pardon me, Judge, but a unit?" M asks the judge.

"You will receive a file containing the details and alibis for the initiative at your office by tomorrow morning. Have a good afternoon," the judge finishes. The next morning, M receives a large file on his desk. He reads the title written in red: Task Force Initiative. He opens it and sees the first alibi, which is about James Bond. Later, Bond is called into the office and M hands his file to him.

"What's this?" Bond asks him.

"The next step," M responds. Bond reads the Task Force Initiative title and opens the file. He then skips his alibi and sees Bourne, which turns his face into one full of regret. "What is it, 007?" M asks him.

"Jason Bourne left this morning without a word. His only wish was for us to not look for him," Bond tells him. M looks disappointed but understanding. Meanwhile, Bourne and Nicky arrive at a private airport. They get out of the car and are about to enter the plane.

"So, this it, isn't it?" Nicky asks him.

"I can't continue fighting. It's time for us to disappear," he tells her. Nicky and Bourne grab their bags from the trunk and Nicky turns to Bourne.

"So, where to next?" She asks him. Bourne looks at her with a smirk, indicating he has an idea. They board the plane and the doors close. Meanwhile, the next day, Bond heads to Palawan Island in the Philippines. There, he visits a small home and knocks on the door. The door opens and reveals a man.

"Aaron Cross? I come here on the behalf of MI6," Bond tells the man. Cross closes the door. He is wearing a summer Filipino beachwear that includes a shirt and shorts.

"British Secret Service? How did you find me?" Cross asks him.

"We were tipped off. Listen, Mr. Cross, we're putting together a small team, and we want you on board," Bond informs him.

"I'm sorry, a team?" Cross asks him humorously. Bond hands him a copy of the Task Force file. Cross skims through it and then looks up at Bond, indicating the peak of his curiosity. Later, Bond returns to M's office. M is watching an American newscast covering the Senate committee meeting that restored the IMF. Bond watches with him.

"Ethan Hunt is our next candidate," M tells him. Bond looks at M and nods to him before returning his attention to the newscast. Later, he receives Ethan Hunt's file. While reading through Hunt's history at the IMF, he smirks at the impressive feats done by Hunt. M walks in.
"Lets gather them up," Bond says to him. The failed Blackstone mission has definitely left a legacy to fulfill and amend. The need to assemble a team of the world's greatest spies has proven an indication of the fact. The failure is nothing but an indication that real heroes will rise. And rise, they will.

Writer's Note: Read on for a bonus part...