Chapter 7 - Nail Polish and Other Substances

*Chapter 7 - Nail Polish and Other Substances*

Yes! I thought. Got it! I thought of a way to get myself out of this.

I took out my phone and unlocked it, looking at it as if something new had come up, ie. a text, say from… my mam, asking us to come home! Wait, is there a “I just got a text” face, or was it just pure elation that I had thought of an escape route?

“Oh, would you look at that? Just got a text from my Mam saying we have to go Carla, come on.” I hoped I didn’t sound too eager to leave. And thinking back over what I said, I must have sounded like a right weirdo!

“Whyyyy?” She whined, looking down at the screen of my phone, which obviously had no new texts on it. I just hoped she didn’t rat me out for it. I didn’t want to look naïve in wanting to get away.

“Because we  just have to go, now!” Ok, that came out way louder and more  forceful than I had previously meant it too. Oh, well guess I have to work with it…

“No! I want to stay, that’s rude just walking away, I thought you knew better than that Sarah” Carla said like a stubborn child, shifting to a steadily defiant stance. I was really annoyed by then so I just started trooping off in the opposite direction. I took a quick glance back and saw Jack looking after me confused and defeated, poor guy, I thought. No one deserved to be left alone with Carla and Danielle, especially a guy.

Carla caught me looking back and leaned over to Danielle, whispering something in her ear. It was most likely about me. Then Carla came bounding behind me, screaming at the top of her voice.

“Sarah, Waaait! I have to paint your toenails!” She ran over, jumping on my back, causing me to fall flat on my face in the one muddy patch in the whole place. Typical!

I am going to kill that girl later, I thought, seething as she rolled off my back, to lie in the grass beside me.

“What am I going to do with you, Carla?” I said mockingly as a joke.

“Oh! I don’t know…. paint my toenails? And lend me a change of clothes because you’re not able to stand up very well!”  She said with eagerness and an undertone of exasperation.

“Just. Be. Quiet.” I snapped, neither of us were being very aware of our surroundings, me because I because I had just had enough.

I knew that because, what happened next, proved exactly that. Jack followed over and stood dead square in front of the both of us, arms crossed across his chest. He looked annoyed, and to be honest I didn’t blame him.

“Will someone please tell me what’s going on here?” He did a sweeping look at all of us then turned to me and said, “Why did you just rush off?” Finally, glaring at Danielle’s hand which was trying to feel his arm he snarled, “And who are you?”  I knew if I stayed much longer, I would get a bout of sympathy for him, and just end of saying everything. That could not happen.

“Look, I really have to go, I’ll talk to you later, ‘kay?” I rushed out, gesturing at the hardening mud on my front.

He, Carla and Danielle were banded together in a look of confusion as I bolted out of the field and started off towards my house, Carla must have run after me because I heard her chirpy little voice beside me a minute later.

“Want to tell me what that was all about? Why you told Jack you’d talk to him later, and then run off? What are you not telling me Sarah? I want to know now! And don’t make up some excuse.” When I thought about it, it was only a matter of time before this happened, I just never thought it would happen so violently….

Carla must have noticed my face falling and my silence for a little longer than necessary, as she tried again in a friendlier manner. “Come on, lets go get changed and you can tell me all about it while you do my nails.” She smiled in an inviting manner. I was still a little mad but I had to put up on a good face for the sake of my family as we were turning into my driveway.

And I still hadn’t come up with a believable excuse for the fact there was brown plaster covering all of my clothes, partially Carla’s too, but I took the brunt of the impact. I opened the front door, filled with dread as we walked in the front porch door but waited there so mud would not stain the pristine cream carpets.

My Mam walked past just as I was starting to open the hall door so I could alert someone of our presence. She was about to casually walk past, when she stopped and sprang back to face us.

“Girls, what are you doing out there? You’ll catch your death of a cold. Come around the side gate and I’ll get some towels so you can go up and shower.”

We ran around the side of my house and were greeted by my Mam telling us to take off our muddy coats and wrap towels around ourselves, we did and then jumped into the inviting warmth of the upstairs and downstairs showers.

We got dressed into fresh pairs of my clothes in the respective bathrooms and recouped back in my bedroom. By a silent but mutual agreement, I started pulling out various little bottles of nail varnish and Carla sat on my bed and put a towel underneath her outstretched hands.

Carla selected a light pink colour and I started to lather it on thick to her perfectly manicured nails. It was then she decided that it would be a good time to break the light tension in the room, to speak.

“So, please just tell me what’s going on? I won’t be mad, I just want to know.” Great! I wondered did she want the flowery, in other words untruthful version, or the proper one? Lets go with truthful just to save any more drama…

“Well… Basically the night he accepted my friend request I messaged him, he messaged back, blah, blah… yeah, we talked!” I said with a sort of nonchalant, bored tone to my voice.

“Wow! That boy actually told the truth… who knew? haha” She replied, an impish look spreading across her features. “He did say he had a girlfriend, congrats on taking on the role!”

Now, I was going to kill him.

________________________________________________________________________________

yay! finally off hold :) i know the end of this chapters bad but i just felt like uploading lol! please comment / vote / fan / +1 if you're happy i took this off hold <3