Chapter 3 - Sweet Sarcasm

(Dedication for my first fan!!! Thanks xoxo)

*Chapter 3 - Sweet Sarcasm*

My 35 notifications were made up of; 11 pokes, 18 accepted friend requests and 6 people writing on my wall. For a start, when did I add 18 people and why were people poking and messaging me??

I knew my mouth was hanging open, eyes open and dilated from staring at the screen and my hands lying completely still at my sides. Carla glanced over at me and clutched her sides and literally fell off my bed and started rolling around on the floor, her body twitching in laughter.

“What?! Do you think this is funny? Someone got into my account! Oh My God, what am I going to do?!” I snapped then turned to being on the verge of hysteria. Someone had hacked me??

When Carla finally managed to contain herself, she casually sat down beside me and said “Oh yeah… I completely forgot to tell you that you forgot to log out of your account, oh and that I know you were on my account, so I merely returned the favour. Hope you don’t mind.” She said it so cunningly and maliciously, but I knew she was only putting on a façade.

But, to be honest I was kind of shocked at how deviously smart she could be and at how little I actually noticed these days. Of course if she was on her account when I was too, she would get all the things people would reply to me, just not what I was saying. It all made sense.

“So you’re the reason I’m going to be forever apologising to all the people you poked and added. Little too clever for my liking….” I was messing with her and she knew it. I added another bit before she had the time to reply. “And may I ask, why you felt the need to add people and not just do the same as I was doing?”

“Well… you seemed so interested in talking to people on my account that I figured now you could weird out on your own account and besides the point, we all know your account is waay to boring!” She put emphasis on the ‘way’ and in that moment I felt like a sad little loner. “But you’re really lucky! I even wrote a status about you!” Sure that makes it all better doesn’t it…

I gave her an incredulous look and proceeded swiftly to her search her page and check out her latest status. It read: “Sarah is boring!!!!!!!!” Carla seriously thought I would take that as a compliment? I was started to thinking I was wrong saying she was bright…

“And I’m supposed to be happy about that…?” I questioned cautiously.

“No, you eejit Sarah, are supposed to take it as a joke!” She giggled again. “And remember to reply!”

I did her bidding, deciding to go along with what she was on about, replying “"ughhhh how?!!! You’re reaaaally boring!!! Ughh I hate you!!!!!" Her Ipod beeped, presumably facebook letting her know that she had a new notification. She sat down and without talking, unlocked her ipod and typed a reply.

My page reloaded as the new comment was added to the bottom of her status. It said “omg Sarah!!! I hate you too!!!!!” Well, this would look strange to anyone who didn’t know us. Oh well it was fun.

A few minutes and mock hating comments later, my Mam called up the stairs that Carla’s dad was downstairs to collect her and bring her home.  I spent a few minutes in the kitchen getting a glass of orange juice and talking to my Mam about what weekend homework I had gotten, I returned to my bedroom.

I had another couple of notifications that just consisted of stragglers poking me back and stuff, then I get to one about Carla’s status. I knew it couldn’t be her as she and her Dad wouldn’t be home yet, they lived across the other side of the town.  What I had suspected would happen did, someone got the wrong idea about us.

To be exact the notification said, “Jake Fitzgibbon also commented on Carla McCann’s status.” I had a minor heart attack, Jake was in my year at school…. oh gosh…

I clicked on the link out of curiosity as to what Jack had said. Oh Lovely, he had been kind enough to give me the hassle of having to translate text language – most stupid invention in the world if you ask me.

“y u 2’z h8 ech odr” which I translated as “why do you two hate each other” hello? we don’t! Duh!

Jack Fitzgibbon had ironically been one of the people Danielle had decided to add for me so I saw he was coming up on my chat list. I made a rash decision to message him.

“Do you even know who I am?” I said. Bluntly and without waffling, as more things should be like.

The reply arrived less than a minute faster, man that boy was a fast typer.. “no jus no dat u Carla’s m8:)” I sent back “so why did you except my friend request?” I was just curious; I mean I wouldn’t accept requests from just anyone??? I was also not bothered to tell everyone that it wasn’t actually me being weird to everyone, I was just going to go with the flow…

“coz Carla sayz u mad nyc nd stuf” and as known to the rest of the non-text-language speaking world “because Carla says you are mad nice and stuff.” As far as I knew they sat together in french, she kept complaining about the ‘Emo Ms. Karp made me sit beside’, but why was she telling him about me?

We exchanged messages for an hour or so and it turned out he was actually really nice and we had a lot in common.

***

Jack and I chatted most days for the guts of a week. I kept it a secret from Carla and Danielle, or anyone else for that matter. The reason for this wasn’t clear to me, maybe I was afraid of getting teased or something. We were becoming like facebook penpals and I thought it was kind of fun.

I didn’t exactly have any worries about him telling people because, apparently he wasn’t the most popular, according to himself. I just referred back to Carla calling him an emo.  I would go as far as to say we were fast becoming friends, and when I thought back to how I first treated him, I sounded like I was very much up myself…

One day when we were talking about science homework... because we were just that sad… I realised we never knew where the other one lived, he was most likely too shy to ask me out straight. I took the liberty to do it for him.

So where do you live?” I asked, out of curiosity and I remembered Carla saying she knows a few people who live in or around my estate.

Ever heard the saying ‘curiosity killed the cat’? Yeah, I wish I had.. “41 Deer Lawns, you??” he said. I swear I nearly fainted. My house was at 30 Deer Lawns….

I decided to put up a poker face and give away my corner just yet. So I casually replied “Somewhere near that, but I can’t say on the internet. Sorry

My eyes nearly fell out of my head at his cheeky little reply, “will you call for me? ;)” He did not just say that, did he? Cringe…

I thought maybe something interesting could come out of that little discovery… but I had to go nearly straight after before my Mam nearly wrenched my laptop out of my hands, as I was already pushing the amount of time I hand left on the internet for the night. As she said “I would actually like to be able to go to sleep without a fear of waking up to a fire all because you fell asleep with your laptop on,”

Well, when you put it that way.....

________________________________________________________________________________

weeell there it is! please comment!!! or vote!! or fan!! or something? i would just looooove feedback!! :) <3 to everyone who reads this!