Chapter 9 - Prince Charmings

(Awesome new cover by AlishaGirl95 - thank you! xx)

*Chapter Nine – Prince Charmings*

I cringed at his impeccable timing, Danielle seemed to sense my discomfort too as she took a protective stance in front of me, facing off Jack. He looked a little surprised and with something like an undertone of defeat. It’s not like I lead him on, he has no reason to like me?

“Just go away Jack, Carla doesn’t want to see you right now,” Danielle practically growled at Jack and he flinched at her tone.

“But why? Was that you in the cafeteria just there… whoa!” His eyes bored into me with a look like pride in his eyes, I was majorly confused.

“Yes, that was me. And no, I’m not your girlfriend so why are you saying I am?!” I almost screamed, I was just fed up with people always beating around the bush when it came to things like this. Just say what you got to say already! Is my view. . .

Jack stepped back a little and rocked back on his heels, shock plastering his face. I wanted him to just say something, give me a reason, walk away, anything.

A laughing fit wasn’t exactly the response I was looking for. This boy was majorly confusing me and I wasn’t in the mood to be messed about, I glared at him until he managed to splutter out a couple of knowledgeable words before breaking down again.

“I-I hhh-have a r-real giiirlf-friend y-y-you k-know Princessss, her names Fi-Fi-Fiona,” What? He had a girlfriend, he wasn’t lying, I made myself look like a proper idiot. Screw it…

“Oh, well I’m very happy for you then!” I spat at him before turning a tomato red colour and fleeing to the girl’s bathrooms to try and less my embarrassment before the bell rang.   

***

Things seriously got around the school fast, or someone told on me, because the principle called me and Darren out of our first class after lunch to ‘have a chat’. I didn’t like where this was going, chats with Ms. Freeman usually ended in detention and / or suspension from the school for a week.

We were brought into her office and sat in two matching chairs in front of her oak wood desk. She looked at us as if we were serious offending criminals and said “I presume you both know exactly why you are here, the… incident in the canteen this lunch time.” Her prissy little voice resounded from her tall, heavy figure. The mass of crazy curls she kept wrangled behind her ears was starting to pop out, she fixed them with a grimace at us.

I decided to take the ‘I’m innocent, don’t blame little ol’ me’ route. Whereas Darren went with ‘If I shout loud enough I’ll get off scot free.’ Suddenly the office was filled with Darren actually pouncing on the table and screaming that it wasn’t anything to do with him, and my contempt snorts at his idiocy. I sat inspecting the nail polish that had started chipping off my shaped nails and looked up in amusement every time I heard a crash of fist meeting wood.

After what  seemed like forever but the clock recorded as only five minutes; Ms. Freeman had stood up to her full height, towered over Darren and basically told him to sit down unless he would like his time in the school this week to be limited. Once a relative peace was restored to the spacious office the principle tried a different tactic. She basically told Darren to get out but in a more lady like fashion and wait outside the door until further notice.

I dreaded what was to come, that meant I was her first prey of choice and was about to have an interrogation like nothing I had ever seen before. She smoothed her “vintage”, but I would say just old blouse over her large figure and sat down again on the edge of her desk, crossing her legs so her knee was barely a foot from my face. She glared down her nose at me and to say I was intimidated would be an understatement.