12

Yassi and Nadine walked back to their table, with Nadine shyly holding the bouquet that she caught. Everyone watched as the single men (and the teenage boys) went up for the garter toss with James silently praying for it to be him so he could get a chance to talk to Nadine.

The two weeks between Henz's proposal to Robyn and Bret and Claire's wedding kept the group on an all time high. Everyone was excited for what was to come, happy about what was happening, and content with what has happened. The only two that seemed to be struggling with all the emotions were James and Nadine. Nadine was just happy that both of them were too busy with wedding entourage events that they couldn't really talk and James knew that she was avoiding him for some unknown reason. 

Now at the reception, after a tear-jerking wedding ceremony, Nadine had managed to effectively avoid any real contact with him despite the fact that they were paired together in the entourage. James had tried to get close to her, but gave up halfway through the introductions when she moved her seat to the other side of the table. 

"Whoo!" James cheered as he waved the garter in the air.

All the boys patted him on the back and Yassi glanced over at Nadine. At this point, she would have been better off going to the wedding without any nail polish because she was peeling it off finger by finger, with almost no speck to spare.

"Now, ladies and gentlemen, the groom will dance with the lady who caught the bouquet and the bride will dance with the man who caught the garter," the emcee announced behind the sound station.

Bret had walked up to get Nadine and held out his hand for hers. And for the first time in a long time, he led her out onto the dance floor while Claire danced with James.

"Congratulations, Mr. Jackson," Nadine smiled sincerely up at him.

He looked over at Claire who was smiling at him before he kissed Nadine on the forehead.

"Thank you," he said after the small gesture.

She furrowed her brows, "What was that for? And thank you for what?"

He chuckled as she wiped her forehead, Nadine making it seem like she was disgusted at him for the kiss.

"Because if you didn't leave the way you did, if you didn't want us to find our happiness, we would probably be dancing, unhappily married for 2 years at someone else's wedding."

Nadine giggled, "So you're happy we never got married?"

"Don't take it to insult, but yeah," shaking his head and laughing. After a beat, his face turned serious once again, "Nadz, I'm happy... Are you?"

They looked over at James laughing with Claire as she bit the inside of her lip, wanting Bret to forget that he asked her something.

"Well? Nadz... are you?"

"What's there not to be happy about? We're at your wedding, where you just married the right girl for you. You married someone who stuck around and will stick around through all the bullshit. And our other friends just got engaged. Is there something I'm missing here?"

"Your own happiness," looking into her eyes.

She sucked in a breath and held it in before responding.

"This night isn't about me, Bret. It's about you and Claire."

He twirled her and brought her back in, making her laugh.

"There have only been two times I've ever seen a smile go with that laugh," he said. "Once, when James carried you for 2 miles to the hospital after you sprained your ankle. And the other time was after you two went bungee jumping."