4

Bret sat with James and Henz at the bar for a "Guys' Night Out." There was an awkward air between them, especially after Bret witnessed Nadine and James in a tight embrace during their bungee jumping outing.

James tried to not look Bret in the eye and Bret wanted to ask him something and everything.

After a few civil conversations, James got up and left for the restroom.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT," Bret yelled over the noise at Henz.

Henz shook his head, "Me? You're the one who actually liked her. That wasn't part of the plan."

"What was I supposed to do?" Bret slouched in his chair, taking a swig of beer.

"You took advantage of that situation. You figured, 'Hey, I like Nadz too.' So instead of helping out a friend so he can end up with his lifetime soulmate, you take her for yourself," glaring at Bret.

"She's not an object. I didn't just take her. She let me date her and we actually genuinely like each other."

Henz threw his hands up in exasperation, "That's the problem! What did you, me, and Yass agree on? We set them up. You were only supposed to go on that date and push her towards James, not bring her closer to you! And look where we're at now. If you don't think he's gonna freak after you ask him, I give up on you."

"Man, whatever. I'm asking him and he's not gonna do shit. You know why? Because she doesn't love him and he knows that. And he knows he took too long to admit anything because she's in love with someone else now."

He was about to make his rebuttal, but James came back and sat down in the middle of the two.

James saw Henz's face contort from frustrated to acting like nothing happen and furrowed his brows in confusion.

"What are you mad at Bret for?"

Henz shook his head, took a swig, and mumbled, "Nothing."

Bret saw this as the perfect opportunity to ask James something important.

"So, James... I was wondering...."

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Yung totoo, handa ka na?" Yassi looked at Nadz shuffling around her apartment.

"Handa para saan...?" turning around with a confused look on her face.

Yassi moved to stand in front of Nadine and knelt down on one knee, "For Bret to do this."

Nadine rolled her eyes and went back into the bathroom to finish curling her hair.

"We've been together for 2 years already."

"Time doesn't dictate readiness," leaning in the doorway of the bathroom.

"Mahal nya ako."

Yassi stared at Nadine in silence, just pursing her lips.

"Mahal ko sya."

"Ako ba ang kinukumbinsi mo o ung sarili mo?" crossing her arms.

Nadine looked at Yassi and took a deep breath.

"I've been with him for 2 years. Kung di ko sya mahal, I wouldn't be with him. At mahal nya ako, Yass. He treats me well. Lagi sya nan dyan para sakin."

"You don't love him like you think you do."

Nadine crossed her arms in defense, "At ikaw? Alam mo kung anong nararamdaman ko? You're not me."

Yassi walked up and circled around Nadine like she was judging her.

"Ikaw ang bestfriend ko. Alam ko kung anong mukha mo kapag in love ka. At bilang bestfriend mo, alam ko rin kung hanggang saan lang yang pagmamahal mo sa kay Bret."