Chapter 18

I wake up a few hours later and look around at my surroundings. By the familiar room and the scent of expensive cologne, I assumed I was in Ivan's room. Sitting up, I scratch my head before pulling the blanket off me. I walk into his connected bathroom to freshen up a bit. I turn on the sink and wash the remainder of today's make up off my face. Patting my face dry, I walk back into his room and towards his closet wanting to get out of my dress.

I look through his drawers and pick out a pale blue button up to put on over my undergarments. I wiggle out of my dress and carefully fold it before setting it on one of the drawers. The shirt rested at about mid thigh and I decide against attempting to fit into one of his sweats. I pull my hair out of the now messy bun and quickly brush my fingers through my hair to tame it. I open the door and step out before attempting to find Ivan. I wander aimlessly through the halls for awhile, admiring the paintings before I hear faint talking. Deciding to follow the voice, I find myself in front of the room where the sound was coming from. I knock a few times and wait for a come in before twisting the doorknob. I fling the door open and am met with Ivan neck deep in papers talking fiercely into a phone.

I step into the room quietly not wanting to disturb him and walk over to sit on the couch. I wait for him to finish but can't help but catch fragments of their conversation.

"Why must you come on such short notice" Ivan grumbled into the phone using his other hand to rub his temples. I could barely hear the other person's voice so I stop listening in and I chose to busy myself with a magazine instead. The vogue magazine had a beautiful women on the cover sporting a dark smoky eye and flawless features making me envious. I flip through the magazine only half paying attention when I hear Ivan sigh deeply. Looking up, I watch as Ivan takes deep breaths and shut my magazine.

"Who was that" I say voicing my curiosity and breaking Ivan out of his trance.

"That was my dearest mother calling to inform me that she will be flying in tomorrow morning to pay me a visit" He says frustrated not looking in my direction.

"Do you not like your mother" I ask confused on why it was such a big deal. I'd be ecstatic to have my mother still around and willing to be apart of my life.

"Of course I love her mia cara, it's just that she can be a handful at times. Not to mention her obsession with wanting to set me up with women I have no concern in being with" he tells me finally looking up to meet my curious gaze.

"Well you should be thankful, I'd take having a nosy mother who's concerned about my future over not having one at all any day" I reply my voice getting colder at the end. Ivan looks at me perplexed and studies me for a few minutes. I fidget under his gaze but keep eye contact until he finally says something.

"Mia cara, where's your mother" he asks hesitantly as if him asking the question would result in my downfall.

"She's in a better place I presume" I tell him pretending I didn't care but my facade falls as soon as a single tear caresses my cheek. I quickly wipe it away before standing up and walking towards the door. Turning around I meet his gaze before answering the question he was dying to know.

"She committed suicide when I was 17 leaving me alone in this monstrous city with no blood relative within 100 miles leaving me to fend for myself until I became of age" I inform him before quickly walking out of the room and down the stairs into the living room. I collapse onto the couch face first and it was then the waterworks began. I sobbed into the couch quietly until I was gently lifted up and pulled into a hard chest. I sobbed into Ivan's chest for what felt like hours finally allowing myself the chance to grieve. I cried for my mother, I cried for my father not caring enough to stick around, I cried about all of the hardships I've faced in the past 5 years. Ivan said nothing but rubbed patterns into my back and cooed into my ear until my hysteric sobbing became small sniffles.